newt

Well Known Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7gH5claETw

Two loops, two aileron rolls, two barrel rolls.

I stalled it over the top of both loops. In retrospect, perhaps doing a loop at cruise power is a bit ambitious. I'll play around with the throttle a bit next time (fixed pitch O-320 RV-6).

Still -- even amateurish aerobatics are more fun than being on the ground. How was your Sunday?

- mark

Hi Mark

Looks like we shared a brain on Sunday, I did the same in my RV7 at Cessnock in the Hunter Valley of NSW.

I have also posted a video.

Cheers

Hey, that's great. I think I'm learning to unload during loops from your thread. :)

- mark

Hi Mark,

You coming to AusFly?

A few of us aerobatic newbies (in the RVs at least) are going to try and catch up over a few beers either Friday or Saturday and exchange stories and experiences?

If you are let me know and I'll give you my mobile number, just sms me and I'll give you details of time etc.

Cheers
Eddie

Nah, no time off from work, and it's a bit far from Adelaide for a weekend: Spend most of the first day getting there, and most of the second day getting back, assuming bad weather enroute doesn't leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere :)

I'd quite like for the AusFLY organisers to merge with NatFly at Easter, or, at the very least, hold the event on a long weekend. That'd make it a bit more accessible for us far travellers.

- mark

The loop had a 3.5g pullup.

The barrel rolls were coordinated and positive g. The aileron rolls were a pitch up, check, and uncoordinated aileron with neutral stick.

I had aerobatics training in a Decathlon. It didn't take long to work out that I'll need to practice a bit to work out the differences.

I can think of many less-fun things to practice though :)

- mark

A barrel roll can be whatever you want it to be. No such thing as one "right" way to do them. A barrel roll is simply a roll where the CG of the airplane describes some degree of corkscrewing flight path through the air. A plain old positive G aileron roll is technically a barrel roll...just a very tight one, with limited pitch and yaw excursions. But barrelling is still present during a 1G aileron roll. Or you could barrel it such that the airplane is 90 degrees off heading at the top with large altitude deviations...and anywhere in between. It's all barrel roll.

A full barrel roll is not a competition figure, but you can still do them with competition precision. A quarter clover is a competition figure, and is basically half a barrel roll, either up or down. Blend two clovers together perfectly, and you could actually have a standard for precision when doing barrel rolls.

For example, a quarter clover up consists of pitching the airplane up from level flight while perfectly integrating roll such that the airplane flies a round profile upwards while finishing a half roll simultaneous with reaching both the inverted level attitude AND a perfect 90 degree heading displacement. From there, it's just a half loop down, ending 90 degrees from your original heading. The goal is to evenly integrate the pitch and roll such that there is no pitching or rolling without both occuring at an even rate. Roll rate should be constant, and the roll should stop concurrent with reaching the inverted attitude, and 90 degrees off heading. Fairly challenging to do perfectly.

A quarter clover down is the same concept, reversed. Fly a round half loop up, and immediately upon reaching the inverted level attitude, start a roll that perfectly integrates with the second half of the loop such that you simultaneously reach level flight, wings level, and 90 degrees from your entry heading. Finish the roll before you have pitched to level flight, or reach level pitch attitude before finishing the roll, and you've done something wrong. Again, put two clovers together, and you've got a precision barrel roll. Anyway, just gives you something challenging to work on rather than just boring holes in the sky, if you're into that sort of thing. :)