Rabidsnipe

I got to go up this weekend in a very nice RV-9A owned by Mitchell (brother of Marshall, RV10MAN). All I can say is, wow!

We (my wife and I) arrived a little early as Mitchell had flown down to Goldsby to pick up some gas. Marshall and his two daughters were there to greet us and show us around the hangar (Marshall is working on an RV-10 fuselage at the moment). He showed us his C150 that we would also be flying today (as a comparision). It wasn't long before we heard Mitchell overhead (he did a fast and low pass right over the runway, 191 mph!)

Mitchell's John Deere colored 9A is impressive. This was my first side-by-side RV to lay eyes on and I was very impressed. I really liked his panel and how easy it was to read. I also loved his plush leather seats. It looked awesome and I was basically drooling!

For the first ride I hopped in the RV-9A and put on the headset. Very snug and comfortable. My wife got in with Marshall in the C150 (this would be here 2nd small airplane experience). Mitchell made his radio calls, back-taxied onto 18 and then firewalled the throttle. Compared to the C150 I was used to flying, this thing was a rocket. We were probably climbing at 1500 fpm at 100 mph (memory could be wrong, I was overwhelmed by the experience). We were at 2000' in no time at all.

While we waited for Marshall and Jennifer to get airborne in the C150, Mitchell began to show me some of the flying qualities of the 9. Fantastic! The controls seemed firm, but required just the slightest movement for ample control. I loved the view out of the tip-up canopy and the ability to make very sharp banks and be able to look exactly where you want to go.

We made radio contact with the C150 and slowly pulled up off their right wing. Mitchell matched speeds while Jennifer took a couple of pictures. We were flying about 105 mph. After a few seconds, Mitchell pushed the throttle forward and we accelerated quickly away from the C150.

With that we turned towards the north to let them pass and come up behind them (this was also supposed to act as a performance demonstration for my wife). We rocketed past them at about 171 miles ground speed and that C150 looked like it was standing still!

Back on the ground I was all smiles and Jennifer said she felt tense after the ride. We spent some time talking while Mitchell took Max (a couple had flown in from AR for a ride in his 9) up to show off. Jennifer seemed very hesitant about going up in the 9.

We finally convinced Jennifer to go up after Max's wife (forgot her name) said it was a smooth ride with smooth air. She seemed nervous but agreed. We sat on the ground and chit-chatted while they went up. When they landed and taxied by, she had a big grin. Whooo! At least she wasn't throwing up.

Back at the hangar Mitchell pulled it to a stop and they both hopped out. Jennifer was giddy with excitment and ran up to me and said she had so much fun! "That was awesome!!!!"

We chatted some more but eventually had to go. I have to extend a most gracious thanks to Mitchell and Marshall. They had done more for my campaign to build an RV in one afternoon than I had done in months of discussion. If I ever do build, I can honestly say that it wouldn't have happened without these two fine gentlemen; class acts, both of them.

-Chase

Last edited:
Chase,
Very nice write-up. You captured the essence of the -9. Fast and sporty, yet solid and relaxing. Nice that you can outrun most other planes when you feel the need to get some distance between you and the other guy entering or leaving the pattern.
I am truly addicted to flying my nine. Yesterday was 1.1 hours and the weather today beckons me to "come out and play" :)
Hmmmmm....what excuse have I not used yet to leave work early?

I'd love to go and work some pattern work today. But, as a solo student, I really don't think I should go up and contend with 15G25KT on my 2nd solo.

All I can say is thanks for the kind words and let's go again.:D All you gotta do is call & we're ready, willing, & eager anytime.:) When you're ready to order the tail kit, let us know & we'll be right there to help you unpack & help you get started with the inventorying. A couple more rides for Jennifer & she'll be just like my wife, when are you going to finish it?
Matter of fact, I worked on the -10 some last night,:D tonight I'm going to install the brake lines & connect the rudder bars to the cables.

Marshall

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is thanks for the kind words and let's go again.:D All you gotta do is call & we're ready, willing, & eager anytime.:) When you're ready to order the tail kit, let us know & we'll be right there to help you unpack & help you get started with the inventorying. A couple more rides for Jennifer & she'll be just like my wife, when are you going to finish it?
Matter of fact, I worked on the -10 some last night,:D tonight I'm going to install the brake lines & connect the rudder bars to the cables.

Marshall

Chase
I didn't realize Michela had logged in in front of me,:)
That last post is actually mine.

Marshall