Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I?ve been searching for a solution for a firewall pass through fitting for wires. I?ve wanted something that gives the ability for the inevitable need to open and close so a wire can be removed or replaced. I have seen the odd looking round ones protruding from the firewall with the fire sleeve and globs of red silicone hanging out. Pulling a wire in/out with a connector on the end of those that are crowded with other wires is difficult without hanging up. Besides having to dig the silicone out is a problem and could cause damage to other wires.
I have designed my own but haven?t made one yet. This is a .020 stainless box with silica seal material braided like a rope such as used in a heat treat oven door. It is rated to 2300 degrees. It is packed into the bottom, then a layer on top of the wires then a clamp held firmly with two bolts. This gasket material is very smooth and forms nicely around various sizes of wire lying next to each other. I have a seam formed around the wire opening so there are no sharp edges.
This is the first design. I plan to make the overall height shorter.
I would like some feed back to this design idea. Fire a way!

Wirepassthroughsolid5.jpg

A suggestion

If you think you may make these for sale, then I advise making the opening big enough to pass the d-sub connector found on Lightspeed ignition signal cables. That seems to be the benchmark for large electrical/electronic stuff that has to get through the firewall.

If you think you may make these for sale, then I advise making the opening big enough to pass the d-sub connector found on Lightspeed ignition signal cables. That seems to be the benchmark for large electrical/electronic stuff that has to get through the firewall.

If there was enough interest I could make some extras of these. But like custom machined parts, it is difficult to produce them and be able to price them so they are attractive.

How large would the opening need to be to pass a d-sub connector through?

About the Lightspeed signal cable....Could you use a bulkhead connector so that a "big hole" wouldn't need to be cut through the firewall? Or would an extra connection degrade the signal too much?

Glenn Wilkinson

A friend of mine has put bulkhead connectors to pass the lightspeed sensor cables through. He has an rv6. I have done the same with my rv7. I emailed Klaus to see if I could get some more of the double shielded cable to run the cabin side of the run because the remaining cable I had was too short. To say that the response from Klaus was negative is somewhat of an understatement..He dismissed the mod and said any warranty was now void unless I bought a new sensor and harness. I should say that my friend's aircraft has been running with the bulkhead connectors without any problems for about 3 years now. I intend to leave mine in place as well.
Sorry for the thread drift, but I thought the info might be usefull.:)

This came with my Trutrak EFIS and EMS. Sure is a neat easy way to get all those wires through the firewall.
DSCN2602.jpg