az_gila

Well Known Member
This is for a -6A, but since I am following DWG 19 of the 7/9 plans I thought I would ask here.

Are the locations of the throttle and carb heat control cable critical in the vertical direction.

The -6A is getting to be a hybrid with the newer battery location and heat box, but some of the older -6 stuff is still behind the firewall.

I would like to move the throttle location 0.5 to 0.75 inch lower and move the carb heat penetration 0.25 inch lower.

The engine will be a standard O-360 with a carb.

Since no engine is attached I can't tell if these location changes are critical to cable routing ahead of the firewall - any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Gil,

Sounds pretty much like mine: -6A with 0-360 (carb), using the -7A firewall penetration layout, firewall front side battery location, and firewall back side fuel pump location. Also used Van's supplied engine control cables. I did toss the Van's vertical console engine control cable mount, opting for a horizontal control arrangement across the bottom edge of the panel.

With regard to your questions on throttle and carb heat vertical locations through the firewall: Wouldn't you know it, I don't have any good photos of that area....but I could be convinced to take a few if you wanted to see what it looks like. Off the top of my head, I do know things are tight in that area because of the nose gear bracing on the engine mount. Also, moving the throttle cable hole down may mean the firewall - throttle cable bracket - throttle arm run may not line up as well. Not sure if this would cause any issues.

Bottom line is Van's -7 firewall penetration locations did work for me. I am glad I did not have to figure them out myself. Same goes for the control cable lengths.

I also have a 6A and have been wondering how I would determine the penetration locations, so watching closely here.

Would either of you mind sending me a copy of the -7 firewall plan if you have it in digital format? I will PM my email address.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks guys... I drilled the firewall holes, with a minor change downwards for the throttle and carb heat locations to clear a brake line behind the firewall.

The mixture cable location seems more critical on the -A models due to the nose gear weldment parts.

If -6 guys need a reference to Vans DWG 19 dimensions, use 10.32 inches at the vertical dimension from the lower rivet line to the (0,0) X-Y point on the RV-7 drawing.

The appropriate snippet of the DWG 19 is here -

Last edited:
Gil,
Glad it worked out. Yea, forgot about the brake line crossing through on the inside. Either I got lucky and missed the brake line......or I did the brake line after I knew where the holes would be......don't remember anymore. :)

Larry,
I have a pdf version of dwg 19 that Gil posted. If you still want a copy, PM me your e-mail address. Just an FYI: I did receive a full sized copy of dwg 19 (and a few others related to the FWF hardware) included in the FWF kit from Van's. If you don't buy the FWF kit from Van's, you can still order the print separately.