ron sterba

Well Known Member
Has anybody done the mod with the oil cooler on the firewall instead of on the plentum. I'm at a point of LOCATION by inches from the side hinge and the top hinge and motor mount bar. Never done a engine firewall forward but I learn as you all guide me. Its been pretty darn GOOD I might add!!! Got the brackets built as per Vans plans but need the location and where I'm looking at routing the scat tubing. Pictures much appreciated.
Thanks guys
Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Don't have pictures handy but a couple of things to think about -

Try to keep the bend of the scat tubing from being too tight (this would tend to push the cooler farther down the firewall toward the bottom).

When you do the layout, keep your options open. For example, you may decide in the future to up the size of the cooler; or, you might decide you would want a NACA duct on the side of the lower cowl to push air to the cooler. (This would affect the position of the cooler on the firewall and the bracket.)

If the cooler gets low on the firewall, there probably has to be some thought on the cooling air exit - a smooth transition. Perhaps a cowl flap; maybe a louver.

Dan

Good thoughts on that position. Today Icheck on another RV9A a lot father down the way than mine and I get the whole picture of th tubing. Cannot go thru the frame of the engine mount. It must come up 4" and make a 90 degree turn toward the plentum and enter near the top of the plentum. Looks like a good flow on air Dan! Thanks for the thoughts. Great to get the views of all brain quakes!

Ron in Oregon