rv7charlie

Well Known Member
I'm building a -7.
Has anyone used an O-360 A1-G6 in its stock configuration? This engine has a horizontal carb mounted to the back side (not the bottom) of the oil sump. The carb is about 7" long, so a recess in the firewall similar to the prop governor recess would be required to get air to the carb.

Thanks,

Charlie

Get a sump with the mount in the middle. It's the most common Lycoming sump and shouldn't cost too much for a used one. I'm not real familiar with that one but the intake tubes should be the same. Don

Unfortunately, the intake tubes are different, too. Plus, the sump is cheap compared to having to buy a carb, too. Van's says that recessing the firewall is ok, but I'm not sure whether the motor mount crossbar will hit the carb (don't have the finish kit yet).

Charlie, There has got to be some of those sumps around with intake tubes. I would start a search for one. It is a whole lot easier than trying to reinvent the whole mounting system. I would bet you can find one for less than $1000. Start with an add in the classifieds. Don

change parts

Look in trade a plane under 16990-lycoming engines misc. start calling companies and find someone that will exchange your sump and tubes.
I did this on an engine for my RV6 a while back, saved a bunch of $.