Desert Rat

Well Known Member
This was discussed to death a couple of years ago and the consensus was that smoothing the turbulence and separation as exit air churns past the sharp lower firewall edge on the side by side RV's netted lower CHT's and maybe you might even pick up a knot or two.

In my recent thread on discolored vinyl sleeve on the flexible brake line that runs above the exhaust, somebody suggested a heat shield and it jogged my memory that I had fabricated a couple of prototypes of the firewall bump before I installed the engine, and they've been collecting dust until today.

I won't get to fly this out for a couple of days, but here's a couple of pix. I shall report back Wirth my results...

Attachments

• IMG_9953.jpeg
    IMG_9953.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
This was discussed to death a couple of years ago and the consensus was that smoothing the turbulence and separation as exit air churns past the sharp lower firewall edge on the side by side RV's netted lower CHT's and maybe you might even pick up a knot or two.

In my recent thread on discolored vinyl sleeve on the flexible brake line that runs above the exhaust, somebody suggested a heat shield and it jogged my memory that I had fabricated a couple of prototypes of the firewall bump before I installed the engine, and they've been collecting dust until today.

I won't get to fly this out for a couple of days, but here's a couple of pix. I shall report back Wirth my results...
Nice setup, I tried to do this for my 7A well after the engine was installed and flying and I could not fabricate one and fit so I abended the effort. It is obviously harder with a 7A considering the nose gear is there. I would be interested to see what effect you may see.