Mark7986

I'm trying to find a quilted firewall insulation for my RV7. I live in Minnesota so I would like it to be 1 inch thick. Aircraft spruce does not carry it anymore. I tries some car catalogs but they don't carry anything 1 inch thick.

Looking for suggestions....

Mark
Fairmont, MN

Ceramic

Look up ceramic insulation on the McMaster-Carr website. Buy the thickness you want. Cut to shape and wrap in aluminum or stainless foil. Attach using fasteners (no glue).

Spruce also sells Fiberfrax in 1/8" thickness; you could build up some layers to make it thicker. Same method (foil and fasteners).

Do a search here for firewall insulation and you'll find other options as well as Dan Horton's test results. Both of the above will pass a burn test.

Good luck,
Mike

Minimum thicknes?

Hello

You mentioned Dan's methode, thats what I'm planing, but how much is the minimum needed for a good result?

is 1 layer of 1/8" and a stainless steel foil on the front side enough? Or should I go with 1/4"?

Thanks, Dominik

Dominik,
If the goal is fire resistance, see: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=63633&highlight=ceramic&page=3

Dan Horton (DanH) outlines two methods that give good results in the burn test rig:

"For the cabin side, ceramic wool batting sealed in folded seam aluminum foil envelopes, with a mechanical attachment method. No glue please. Stainless foil is not necessary on the cabin side. All you need is HD [heavy duty] Reynolds Wrap [aluminum foil] from the grocery store.

For the engine side, ordinary Fiberfrax felt (available Wicks, Spruce, etc) under stainless steel foil, attached with SS pop rivets and sealed around the perimeter with 3M Firebarrier 2000. Common 24" wide SS foil is fine, actually preferred. Overlap a mid-panel seam about 2 inches and cover it with one strip of aluminum foil sticky tape. In a fire the aluminum tape will melt away instantly and provide a directed escape path for the outgassing binder in the Fiberfrax."-quote is from DanH's response to a similar question in the referenced thread.

Thicker is better, but there are weight tradeoffs. I plan to use 1/8" Fiberfrax.

Good luck,
Mike

Hello Mike

Thanks for your imput and pointing to the important places in those long threads.

I like Dan's methode, with 1/8 it is more easy to do and will look clean.
Also I have moced my rudder pedals so close to the firewall, that I have tu use every mm there.

Do you plan to use spacer or directly screw all the firewall mounted items (ecept the motormount) directly thru the insulation?

Will order the material soon and the test how much ti get compressd. I do not want to deform the firewall or mounting stuff. Maybe I put aluminum distance rings where I go throu with screws.

Regards Dominik

Dominik,
If the goal is fire resistance, see: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=63633&highlight=ceramic&page=3

Dan Horton (DanH) outlines two methods that give good results in the burn test rig:

"For the cabin side, ceramic wool batting sealed in folded seam aluminum foil envelopes, with a mechanical attachment method. No glue please. Stainless foil is not necessary on the cabin side. All you need is HD [heavy duty] Reynolds Wrap [aluminum foil] from the grocery store.

For the engine side, ordinary Fiberfrax felt (available Wicks, Spruce, etc) under stainless steel foil, attached with SS pop rivets and sealed around the perimeter with 3M Firebarrier 2000. Common 24" wide SS foil is fine, actually preferred. Overlap a mid-panel seam about 2 inches and cover it with one strip of aluminum foil sticky tape. In a fire the aluminum tape will melt away instantly and provide a directed escape path for the outgassing binder in the Fiberfrax."-quote is from DanH's response to a similar question in the referenced thread.

Thicker is better, but there are weight tradeoffs. I plan to use 1/8" Fiberfrax.

Good luck,
Mike

Anyone have a source for the stainless foil? I can't seem to find any that is that size, just foil tape of 1-3" in size.

Stainless foil

Try McMaster-Carr. Look for stainless steel shim stock. They have it in 24" wide and a variety of thicknesses and alloys.

Mike

How about the pop rivets. I know they should be stainless, but since this puncturing the firewall, shouldn't they be closed Stainless Pop Rivets? I am having a hard time finding a supply of SS and closed.