Hawkeye7A

Well Known Member
Greetings,
I'm in imminent danger of hanging my engine mount in the very near future and I was curious as to the success others have had using Vans FWF kit and if the layout of the required holes on the drawings for cables, etc. were accurate and met your needs. I'm installing a Lyc O-360A4M, 180 hp, parallel valve, carb, fixed-pitch wood prop, with 2 mags. Nothing fancy. Anyone have feedback ref the documentation and fit according to plans. Thanx in advance.

--hawk
RV-7A #70932
N728E reserved

I'd highly recommend waiting until you hang the engine and mounting everything "you have no choice where it goes" hardware and accessories. Then figure out where the holes NEED to be. Otherwise your going to possibly be patching holes.

I used the eyeball fittings. A hole punch was used to make the holes. These work great and I had plenty of room to get to stuff. I have a Tip up and left the last skin off until the absolute end making it easy to get to everything.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

I've already found that the nose gear bolt hole was a tiny bit on the high side. I had trouble getting the bolt head through the hole. Anybody else run into that?

I used the Vans FWF kit on an 0-360 A1A with C/S prop. All the holes worked out fine using Van's methods. I used the Odyssey battery box and other items and mounted everything before the engine mount and engine.

A small suggestion would be to mount your lower cowl hinges (very bottom two) before installing the engine mount. Easier to rivet with the mount off. That's if you are using those hinges to attach the cowl. The others can wait.

Roberta

Here is a shot of all the items I mounted prior to the engine mount. Hope it helps.

firewall40jf.jpg

Thanx a bunch!

Roberta,
That's exactly what I was hoping (and waiting) to hear. I planned on holding off on the engine mount until I had verified most of the holes but without being able to run the cables all the way it's a bit difficult. I definitely wanted to at least position the mount before I knocked out the 1" hole for the nose gear leg bolt access. But your picture is worth a thousand speculations. Thanx so much!

--hawk
RV-7A(FWF & avionics)
N728E reserved

You're welcome. By all means, trial fit the mount to double check your clearances for the holes. I marked all the positions first and placed the mount on the firewall using a couple of bolts. I very confident that if you place the holes exactly as prescribed in the plans, you will be fine.

Roberta

Here is a shot of the engine on and the cables in place. It sort of shows you why it really helps to do those holes before you mount the engine. Things really get tight after the engine is hung. Mount all the accessories to the rear of the engine before hanging as well.

wiring44rj.jpg

Last edited: