zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm still working through the firewall and could do with some suggestions / direction. We have a SCAT tube which passes close to the lower oil line between the engine and cooler - how should I provide support / seperation to prevent rubbing between the SS braided oil hose and soft fabric?

Web_Lg_Img_9538.jpg

A couple of options that I've considered,

Tie wraps back to back,but doesn't provide any seperation
Web_Lg_Img_9541.jpg

A better option maybe, but doesn't stop rotation / movement of the support
Web_Lg_Img_9542.jpg

Therefore - how / suggestions please....

Thanks,

Carl

Carl,
I've used something similar to your last picture, but instead of a small section of hose between the two lines, I've just used another tie wrap. You'll have to start by fixing the large tie loosely around the scat and oil line. Then draw the second tie tight between the two lines and finally, tighten the large tie. Tying the large wrap tight first will likely result in breakage. I have this setup in three or four positions (two heat muffs) and have not experienced any movement or breakage. Easy to install/replace.
Terry

Wrap the abbrasive surface

Cut a piece of flat rubber, wrap it around the appropriate surface (the braided hose) and tie it with nylon wire bundle lacing tape at the ends. Let the hose and duct assume their natural position and freedom of movement.

Bob Axsom

Put a blob of rtv between them, and wedge something temporarily between them to keep a little separation while the rtv cures. Works really well. The tie wraps will vibrate and chew either themselves or the braid or scat.

Several different ways to do this - I have used the "blob of RTV" technique that Alex mentioned for many years in my Grumman, and now in my -8....works great!