mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Second time around, I am wondering whether to order the FF kit or just order what I need separately and when I need it.

Thoughts, suggestions, tips welcomed.

Many years ago I built an airplane from scratch. It was a real pain having to identify and buy things one by one.

More recently I replaced the engine in my Cessna 180, and the swap used stock components of which many were able to be reused. It was easy to identify the ones that needed replacing. That was much more straightforward and I still spent days on the phone ordering things.

I've never built an RV, so please take that into consideration. However, the concept of having everything come in a box at once is very, very appealing.

Unless you're planning on some significant changes that's got to save many hours of your time and let you enjoy the building instead of the scrounging.

When I did my -7A, I got the list of the items in the FWF package. I knew there were things in the package that I did not want, such as the electrical parts, oil cooler, rubber engine mounts, AL heater vent and a number of other things. I then ordered everything else in the FWF package.

Even with the reduced package, I had a number of items that I did not use. I substituted quite a few of the AN fittings that Van supplied with steel fittings.

Getting some of the FWF (electrics, etc) before ordering the package from Vans, also let me complete some the FWF work early on in the build.

FWF kit

A couple of ways to approach this.

Call Vans and get a copy of the FWF kit that closest matches your build. (i.e. 7A IO-360-M1B C/S) If you want to substitute upgraded parts then just have those parts eliminated from the FWF kit when ordered and then buy those upgraded parts separately.

Or just buy the kit that matches your configuration and then return the unused parts. (Review Vans return policy though)...

The FWF kits are developed using the specific engines and aircraft models that Vans sells. If you have a different engine/prop/aircraft configuration, then the fit may not be exact. They may be able to get 'close' though. Buyer should also do the necessary research to determine suitability. The great thing about the standardized FWF kit as it is based on actual prototype and customer constructed aircraft and feedback.

my vote for FF kit

Second time around, I am wondering whether to order the FF kit or just order what I need separately and when I need it.

Thoughts, suggestions, tips welcomed.

Mike you can always return the leftovers. I understand that you are located in UK and to ship unused FF parts back to Vans within two years could be an extra postage. Do your homework get a reduced package as Rick suggests, then mail unused items to Vans for credit or refund. That's what I did.

Thanks for the input - I did have problems with the first one due to confusion between engine descriptions. Despite carefully explaining which engine I was ordering from Mattituck, a load of stuff arrived wrong.

It was resolved, but put me off using it again.

Do Van's discount the FWF kit compared to just ordering off list ? Anyone done the math to see ?

Despite my location, I can source and return stuff in the US - longhaul pilot - so plan B was to do the old Cadillac song method - 1 piece at a time !

Fetching IO-360 cylinders back does strain the handles on the case though............ :eek:

Think I may leave it this time and source as I progress.

Delete what you don't need when ordering

Hi.

I've just ordered the FF-kit for my second -7 and I did the same this time as I did the last time:
I sent a list to Vans with the items I didn't need and they took those off the FF-kit ad ajusted the price accordingly.
Example: I've already bought the WW RV-prop and the PCU 5000 governor via this forums group-buy last year so the gov was deleted without problems.
Same with some other items.

I also used the opportunity to order a buch of other stuff: radio, transponder, ELT, mag compass, Koger sunshade, extra fuelcap and seals, extra screws, wires, extra Adel clamps etc etc etc.
I'm going to need all this anyway, so it's nice to get it now since the freight for it is "free" (going together with my FF-kit)

I have the same situation as you: freight cost are pretty high, so it's nice to have sa few shipments as possible. Also I don't have the opportunity to bring parts over from or to the US myself, so saving on freight costs are important.

Regards Alf Olav Frog

PS: Vans now deliver their FF-kit with the Lord engine rubber mounts, so I gladly excepted them. :)

Last edited: