B

bz0tlp

At AirVenture I finally decided on the engine and cowling combo I am going to use. It will be the Barrett IO-540-X w/cold air induction. With this I am going to use the James Aircraft Holely cowl and plentum. I need to order the firewall forward kit from Van's and would like some ideas on what to add or delete.
All replies will be appreciated.

Thank You,
Ed Hershberger
# 40430 Wings

Ed,

Deems Davis may check in on this since he has the same setup, I suggest you hit his web page for some inside information on his hurdles on the cowl and plenum. He is also a very easy guy to talk to and his contact info is on his page. He will save you a ton of extra research.

www.deemsrv10.com

Items to delete

You, will not need Van's filtered Air Box, Don't get the hoses, as the # of hoses and lengths will be different. Contact me when you get close to needing hoses and I have a great supply for hoses with integral firesleeves. Not sure what exhaust you are going to use, but if you're considering the John Forsling exhaust that was built/tuned for the Barrett Cold Air don't order the Vetterman exhaust. I did use Van's baffling kit, The Plenum from Sam James requires EXTENSIVE modifications to make it work, you may be ahead making your own. When ordering the cowl INSIST that Will James fix the problem with the lower cowl being too short of material on the right side. Call me if you want to discuss more 623 218 6442

further questions

Deems Davis said:
You, will not need Van's filtered Air Box, Don't get the hoses, as the # of hoses and lengths will be different. Contact me when you get close to needing hoses and I have a great supply for hoses with integral firesleeves. Not sure what exhaust you are going to use, but if you're considering the John Forsling exhaust that was built/tuned for the Barrett Cold Air don't order the Vetterman exhaust. I did use Van's baffling kit, The Plenum from Sam James requires EXTENSIVE modifications to make it work, you may be ahead making your own. When ordering the cowl INSIST that Will James fix the problem with the lower cowl being too short of material on the right side. Call me if you want to discuss more 623 218 6442
Pardon my question here, I could not help but notice this thread. I am an RV9A builder that is planning on the James cowl and plenum also. Because of this your comments caught my eye. Are the problems you site here unique to the RV-10 versions of these cowls and plenums or is this something I should be thinking about with the 9 cowl and plenum as well? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the issues that Deems is talking about are 10 specific, unless you plan on putting a BPA IO-540 and a 10 cowl on your 9. :D

rleffler said:
Yes, the issues that Deems is talking about are 10 specific, unless you plan on putting a BPA IO-540 and a 10 cowl on your 9. :D
Thanks for the info. I anticipated as much, but wanted to ask to make sure. No, I am not going the IO-540 route. ECI IO-340 but not IO-540!

Firewall Forward - Engine Mount

Ed:

Don't forget to have Van's drop ship your engine mount to our shop for the required modification. We will do that at no additional charge and will have it shipped out to you.

Deems Davis said:
Deems, I will try to call Friday or Saturday, Thanks Ed

rgbewley said:
Ed:

Don't forget to have Van's drop ship your engine mount to our shop for the required modification. We will do that at no additional charge and will have it shipped out to you.

Rhonda, I already have the engine mount as it came with the finishing kit, so I will make arrangements to ship it to you. Thanks, Ed