Cement85

Received a replacement battery that is much smaller than the original.

It is small enough that it will fit forward of the fire wall.

Has anyone moved their battery forward of the firewall on an RV-4?

What are the pros and cons?

Thx

Yes. Do it.

I made an aluminum battery box and attached it to the engine mount in the right cheek. It's a tight squeeze, but it fits. The advantage is forward CG, a place for forward baggage where the old battery location is, and more passenger and rear baggage. Havign a place to put heavy stuff up front really helps on trips with two people. The only negative that I can think of is higher elevator stick forces when flying solo.

Found a few old fit/trial pics. I am not flying yet. The 90 deg angle on pic 3 is upside down. It lays on top of the firewall longeron. Hope this helps.

CIMG2401.JPG

CIMG2402.JPG

CIMG2403.JPG

Backwards battery

I mounted my battery in the same place Axel, but I slid the battery upside down in the box so the terminals are facing outboard. Of course, you have to remove some of the flange from the bottom of the box around the battery terminals.

M

Here's mine...

The area above the battery has to be open so it can slide up for removal/service. Back of firewall photo shows plate-nuts (1/4? used). I built the "firewall recess" per plans to accommodate a possible future prop governor, and the battery is mounted high enough to fit it in there. I'd do it this way again.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Aluminum box

Andreas,
The box holds the RDAC for the MGL Enigma. The RDAC (Remote Date Acquisition Computer) is the processor for the EFIS, and all engine related sensors are wired to it. The RDAC unit is mounted on the engine side of the firewall so that most of the wires don't penetrate. MGL recommends installing the RDAC in an enclosure, so I purchased an off-the-shelf aluminum box from an electronics supplier for about $12.00, and installed it in the cowl cheek. The black hose is manifold pressure. Very easy to work on because it faces outward.

DSC_0003a.jpg

DSC_0005a.jpg

Mounting box

Where did you get the mounting box, that looks very substantial. I was going to use .063 aluminum left over from the new instrument panel I just created.

Temperature?

Has anyone looked at the temperature range spec for the battery ? Cooling down after a flight on a 100degf day ? Would it damage the battery?

I have had a PC680 mounted forward of the firewall for about 18 months now and can report no problems with battery performance, winter or summer.