npowell

Well Known Member
I am building an RV-9A. I am using a Lycoming O-320 with a conical mount. It has an updraft carb mounted in the middle of the sump. I am wondering if the cable locations in the firwall shown in drawing 19 will work ok for the conical mount engine.

Has anyone out there installed a conical mount engine on a 9A or 7A? If so, do you remember if the locations shown in the drawing worked for you? Your advice could you save me from having to mount the engine temporarily just to determine cable locations?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Neal Powell
RV-9A N874NP
Working on firewall and panel.

9A conical mount

Neal,
My conical is an 0-235 mount for my 0-290D. 2" longer than the 0-320, so the existing plan holes worked OK for my application. Though the one thing that I would change is the lowest one(think that it is for carb heat). It's near the interior supporting structure and makes it impossible to use any type of cable secure except for Van's method(snap bushings). If you are going to use another method, IE eyeballs, covers, shrouds, etc. I would get whatever you are going to use now and make sure that they will fit where ever the firewall hole is to be. I didn't think of it before hand and it caused me fits. Also look forward in the plans for upcoming items, IE alternate grounding location, gascolator and support bracket, adel clamp locations, platenut locations, anything that will be attached to the firewall. Saying all of that, you could wait to drill your cable exits until after the engine/carb/carb bracket is mounted-if you have a right angle drill.
Mike H 9A/8A

RV7A with conical mount 0320

Neal,
I installed my O320 B2C with conical mount this summer. I pre drilled the cable holes before the installation according to van's drawings, and everything went well. The only difficulty I encoutered was the orientation of the cable bracket mounted between the carb and the sump, but this is because of my sump which is not fully "standard". The other specificity you will face is the rear of the baffle. The two ruber mount have to go through the baffle, which is not standard with the Dynafocal mount. The rest seems fully similar, so far.

Thanks

Sounds like I am ok to go ahead and drill the holes for the cables in the firewall. Thanks very much for your responses.

Neal