Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I’ve countersunk the firewall angles using the standard technique of going 7/100ths deeper than a flush rivet to account for the dimpled firewall.

After riveting I found that the firewall was not exactly flush against the angle as is shown in the attached picture.

Two questions: 1) Should a go deeper with the countersink? It is getting very close to enlarging the hole on the angle. 2) If so do you think I need to drill out the rivets on this first angle that I’ve installed, and countersink deeper?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 58
I’ve countersunk the firewall angles using the standard technique of going 7/100ths deeper than a flush rivet to account for the dimpled firewall.

After riveting I found that the firewall was not exactly flush against the angle as is shown in the attached picture.

Two questions: 1) Should a go deeper with the countersink? It is getting very close to enlarging the hole on the angle. 2) If so do you think I need to drill out the rivets on this first angle that I’ve installed, and countersink deeper?

A small gap is fine. Going deeper than 0.007" may compromise the strength of the joint. Check out this post and the linked posts: https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1251530&postcount=10

Thanks

I should know this after 1 1/2 builds. For some reason, in this case I had a completely unobstructed view of the joint, and it made me second guess my technique.

Thanks for the link!

Michael-