Craig23

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

What diameter firesleeve are people using to wrap around the FT-60 red cube fuel flow sensor?

Hi Craig,
I used 64mm (2 1/2") ID firesleeve which worked well with a little room to spare.

Hi.

I slit open a few lenghts of large diameter firesleeve (I think the diameter was about 1 inch) and wrapped them around the cube using safety-wire and clamps.

Then sealed all cuts with high temp RTV.
(This wasn't done when this pic was taken)

Seems to work well so far.

ao.frog, Re your photo, I have heard that tywraps on the powder coated engine mount will wear through the powder coating under the wrap.

Thanks for the tip regarding tywraps. I've heard the same thing.
It's a bit hard to see it but it's actually lacing cord on the pic...

Thanks for the tip regarding tywraps. I've heard the same thing.
It's a bit hard to see it but it's actually lacing cord on the pic...

Sorry! By the way, I like your idea of multiple heat shields on the exhaust pipes. I think I will order some more for mine.

Firesleeve

Hi Craig,
I used 64mm (2 1/2") ID firesleeve which worked well with a little room to spare.

Where can I buy 2 1/2" ID firesleeve???
I've looked at the usual places and they only have the smaller sizes.
Thanks in advance.

Big firesleeve

Bob
I ordered large diameter firesleeve from an industrial hydraulic supply company. They use a different name and its not TSO, but its much cheaper.

Matt

Just finished this job. I used the 1.5" diameter sleeve from Spruce.(pricey) I slit it along the length, turned it 90 degrees and wrapped it around the cube. Secured it with a metal firesleeve clamp around the middle and tywraps at each end. I also used a short piece of small diameter sleeve at each end to cover the flare fittings. You will need to make a cut in each corner to allow the tywraps to pull the ends in snug.
I used the high temp permatex to seal the seams. This also firms it all nicely, and holds in any baggy bits.
I was surprised how well it worked out, I was anticipating a bit of a struggle!
Mind you, I haven't flown yet.

64mm (2.5") Firesleeve

Hi Bob,

Here's the Ebay item I bought. It's in the UK, but hey, transatlantic purchasing works.
I've bought and shipped 99% of the parts for an entire RV-7 from the US to the UK :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/64mm-Fireslee...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf1c8d21

The same seller offers a range of other sizes of firesleeve too, all sold in multiples of 100mm (4") length.

You might need to ask nicely about shipping to the US but he was helpful and communicative when I initially made my enquiries.

Last edited:
you can a lot of times buy fire sleeve on line from the auto parts folks like Summitt and Jeg's. Just Google "fire sleeve". They also sell AN fittings that are sometimes (but not always) cheaper than ACS. Pays to shop around!

firesleeve

Thanks Guys, good info.

I initially wrapped my red cube with Hot Rod foil from the auto parts place,
but I really like the idea of a "tube" slide over the cube with a slit for the wire.