Reddsky1

Can any one help me?
What is the FAA regs on fire sleeves for flex lines in the firewall forward area?

Do they need to be on all lines or just Fuel and/or hydraulic?

Thanks Terry

Terry,
There is no HARD FAA reg on using firesleeve. This is one area where it is up to the inspector. It falls under "in a condition for safe operation." I personally require it on all flexible fuel lines on the engine side of the firewall. I strongly recommend it on all flexible oil lines.
Some hoses have an integral firesleeve. These are acceptable.

Terry,
I personally require it on all flexible fuel lines on the engine side of the firewall. I strongly recommend it on all flexible oil lines.
Some hoses have an integral firesleeve. These are acceptable.

Mel, would this include flexible SS braid primer lines or the copper/SS primer lines?

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Mel, would this include flexible SS braid primer lines or the copper/SS primer lines?

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Show me the specs on the braided hose. If it meets or exceeds that of firesleeve, then you're good to go. Standards are TSO-C53A or C75.

My experience is..

My experience is that if you are going to meet or exceed the normal operating temperature of the hose (or wires), you should protect them with firesleeving or equivalent.

Be advised, that although it is very helpful it is not always the final solution to hose health.

In some areas radiant heat can be extreme and may require a suitable metal heat shield between the source and the affected hose or other critical article.

The long term health of any hose experiencing any heat can be improved by firesleeving it, but, you do still need to inspect the hoses periodically for flexibility and condition. This may require removing the firesleeve and the hose in question.

During inspections on customers planes I have found perfectly good looking firesleeve over over stiff crunchy hose that has just aged or worn out from internal heat (hot oil mostly).

They do deteriorate, all of them even the Teflon hoses, they take a set and if over flexed after they have taken this set can be caused to be come defective.

Remember that any failed plumbing can lead to disaster so do not just cursory look at things and say, oh that looks pretty good.

Here is what we offer for heat protection.

Tech Page http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/firesleeve.pdf

You may download and print this for your personal use, whether you purchase it from us our not, we do wish you safe and enjoyable flying in the new year.:)

Disclaimer, All of the above it not official approved data and may not be accurate, it is the pilot of the aircraft that is responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft.