hydroguy2

Well Known Member
warning:lousy cellphone pics

For those of you who are traveling into Montana and Idaho this summer....be aware Fire season is just ramping up. Check for TFR's along your route and be ready for some poor visibility especially flying into the evening sun.

this was westbound at 8500msl this morning. So the sun was at my back and viz wasn't too bad. but we haven't had many local fires yet either.

at 11500 to clear a TFR ahead. Mission Mtns in the distance.

Once past the TFR, I dropped to 8500 and squirted thru Jocko Pass, hugging the Missions before dropping into St Ignatius (52S).

52S had free huckleberry pancakes, B&G's, ham breakfast. 40+planes and many more town folks came out. I think there were 4 or 5 RV's, plus met VAF member "deek" in his LongEz.

Huckleberry pancakes...Check..... ready for departure

anyway be careful out there, it'll probably get worse as the summer plugs along.

Yep. On a trip a week ago we had to dodge several TFRs including the ones for fires outside Las Vegas and Santa Fe. If all you have is the written NOTAM you really have to read it carefully. Software for the iPad (WingX, etc) or XM wx make it a lot easier to visualize and avoid.

Todays flight

I flew from Big Timber to Boeing Field then back to Salt Lake for work today. Saw all the fires along the way. Pretty thick in some places. I stayed two nights in Livingston. Forgot how beautiful Montana is.