Cadstat

Well Known Member
My RV came with an emply fire extinguisher mounted between the seats. I need to replace it. I think I need an 'A', 'B', 'C'. Please Advise!

I'd get a Halon one. Supposedly the "A" type will damage your airplane, if you ever need to use it.

Halon (or Halotron) Only

Halon or its newer cousin Halotron are the way to go for airplane cabins.

Corrosion is not the only concern. Imagine trying to land your airplane with a cockpit full of dry chemical floating around. It's quite a visibility problem from what I've read.

Here's an interesting article about ABC extinguishers from someone much smarter than I:

Air Transport Newsletter, by Ronald Horn, Nov./Dec. 1983, "Class A-B-C Extinguishers Damage Aircraft"

"The A-B-C extinguishers have excellent fire-fighting capability, but the mono-ammonium-phosphate chemical agent melts and flows when it comes into contact with heat. This is how it gets its Class A rating. This chemical is highly corrosive to aluminum, and once it contacts hot aluminum and flows down into the structural cracks and crevices it cannot be washed out as the B-C dry chemical agents can.

"Once an A-B-C extinguisher is used on an airplane, it is necessary to disassemble the aircraft piece by piece and rivet by rivet to accomplish cleanup. Failure to do so will result in destruction of the aircraft by corrosion."

got to be......

a vote for a halon. it saved my plane a lot of damage when i had a air box fire. i grabbed the extinguisher, pulled the pin, got out of the cockpit and went over the front of the wing.:eek: sprayed the intake and then up into the exhaust pipe area. never found the pull pin after the incident. it all happened in seconds. glad i didn't have to stand there and watch it burn yelling for help.

Thanks to ALL

Thanks for the help. I had a gear power pack under the dash overheat and fill the cabin with smoke so as a precaution I want a little security. I put out a Camero one day for someone else.

The RV people are such a wealth of knowledge and so repectful of each other. We wouldn't last two days as politicians but could likely solve half of UNCLE'S problems in one morning and still go for a buzz in the afternoon.

Thanks again guys!!!

Halon isn't the only acceptable alternative to dry powder. Here is a link to a $12 unit that we sell. It's aqueous foam, identical to what the big boys spray on your plane when you're on fire. And it won't suffocate you like Halon can, although I suppose you could drown in it if you squirt it up your nose. ;-)

Firegone fire extinguisher

Here's the product listing:
Fire Gone is a great little fire extinguisher to carry in your aircraft. It weighs only 20 ounces, compared to a typical small Halon extinguisher that can weigh 46 ounces or more. Fire Gone's fire fighting foam is safe and effective.

Fire Gone may be used on all types of fires:

* Class A fires involving materials like paper, wood, cloth, plastics etc.
* Class B fires involving flammable liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, etc.
* Class C fires involving energized electrical equipment

Fire Gone advantages:

* for use on all types of fires, ABC rated
* non-toxic (unlike Halon)
* non-corrosive (unlike dry powder which can destroy aluminum)
* easy to clean up after use (unlike dry powder)
* disposable
* inexpensive
* lightweight
* convenient
* use anywhere
* small enough to carry in your flight bag

Fire Gone disadvantages:

* Fire Gone freezes if left at temperatures below 28° F. Testing has shown no ill effects after thawing, but freezing is not recommended as it makes it impossible to spray. You can, however, use the frozen container to beat the fire into submission. Good luck with that.

While no fire extinguisher is perfect, we feel that FIRE GONE is the best of the 3 types due to it being low cost, light weight, non-toxic, non-corrosive, and having the best overall utility.

FIRE GONE is made with AFFF(a triple f)– a UL CERTIFIED fire retardant identical to fire fighting foams used by fire departments across the country.

Compared to Halon, Fire Gone stays at the sight of the fire and keeps working to smother flames, reduce fumes, and absorb heat.

You can even spray it on yourself to protect your hands or feet from flames. It's tough to think about, but this product would be very effective to buy time and reduce injuries even in the event of a serious in-flight fire!

You can also get it at many hardware stores....usually for more money than we charge! Support your local RVer!