Dorfie

Well Known Member
Don't shoot, as this might be stupid: Does Fire Barrier 2000+ conduct heat? I know it can withstand high temp without disappearing/burning/losing it's seal. What happens behind it? If it does not conduct heat, then covering an aluminum rivet with it should prevent melting the rivet??
I know that some of the ceramic blankets does not conduct heat in any significant manner.
The question stems from seeing the firewall of a Cirrus the other day. It is mostly bare stainless steel, and where I think rivets or aluminum are, there is a big blob of stuff that feels and looks like red RTV. It seems that they covered any parts that might melt with this stuff. Anyone knows what I am talking about?
Thanks.
Johan

Just a guess: i'd guess that red stuff is a vapor seal, meant to keep CO out of the cockpit. Sort of like prosealing the fuel tank rivets. After all, SS does conduct heat (not as well as aluminum, but it will conduct) so if the SS firewall temperature exceeds the melting point of aluminum those rivets will fail, regardless of any red stuff on top of them.