cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I'm trying to get ready to order my QB8 Finishing kit. I do not have an engine choice finalized yet. The plan, is to put an FlyEFII system on it.

So when they get to the question of Horizontal vs. Vertical induction, I have a choice to make between an XIO-360-M1B (horizontal) or an XO-360-A1A (vertical).

Based on my limited knowledge, I will be removing anything fuel or ignition related, so Carb or Injectors, throttle body, magnetos, etc. from the engine. Since I haven't located a used engine, I might be buying new. If I strip it down like that, am I just removing all the differences between those two engines?

I saw a post here, (dummy me, didn't bookmark it) and cannot re-locate it, titled something like "The same engine", where it linked to an article explaining all of the internal differences between different engines. Because the only difference between the two listed above, is not just Carb vs. Fuel Injection. If anyone can point me to that, I'll owe you a beer.

My understanding is that vertical induction is much more prevalent that horizontal. I am NOT worried about getting every last HP out of the engine. But I would like to know about other details like a counter weighted cam shaft, roller lifters, etc. That might give an engine a better life span.

Because of my building situation, I am doing some of this a bit backwards. Once I hang the engine, it has to go to a hangar due to space, and that will run me $500/month, plus driving time (an hour if I want power in the hangar, and 10 minutes if I don't). I am hoping to do as much as possible before that happens. And I don't want an engine just setting here getting old as I finish the build. I would love to run all the controls and wiring through the firewall before hanging the engine, but given this is my first build, that may not be possible.

How would you guys get past this decision point? I feel like I am stuck.

Nothing?

Can anyone at least tell me if there are any differences in the cowl sent by Vans between the vertical and horizontal induction options?

Yes there is a difference in the cowlings... Best to confirm which engine/induction configuration you'll be using before ordering the finish kit. Van's will work with you to help get the correct cowlings. I took a gamble and bought my finish kit a few years before my engine, and as a result I now need to order a new cowling :)

Hope this helps

The plan, is to put an FlyEFII system on it.

So when they get to the question of Horizontal vs. Vertical induction, I have a choice to make between an XIO-360-M1B (horizontal) or an XO-360-A1A (vertical).

I will be removing anything fuel or ignition related, so Carb or Injectors, throttle body, magnetos, etc. from the engine. Since I haven't located a used engine, I might be buying new. If I strip it down like that, am I just removing all the differences between those two engines?

I saw a post here, (dummy me, didn't bookmark it) and cannot re-locate it, titled something like "The same engine", where it linked to an article explaining all of the internal differences between different engines. Because the only difference between the two listed above, is not just Carb vs. Fuel Injection. If anyone can point me to that, I'll owe you a beer.

Is this what you are looking for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lycoming_O-360_variants

http://www.meyette.us/LycomingEngineNumbers.htm

My understanding is that vertical induction is much more prevalent that horizontal. I am NOT worried about getting every last HP out of the engine. But I would like to know about other details like a counter weighted cam shaft, roller lifters, etc. That might give an engine a better life span.

How would you guys get past this decision point? I feel like I am stuck.

If you've narrowed it down to those two engines you are nearly there. Don't give up.

The type certificate data sheets for the certified version of these engines may contain useful information.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/cb8eb266e5683e5b86257a09004d8f38/$FILE/1E10%20Rev%2024.pdf

I suggest calling or visiting multiple engine builders & propeller suppliers and tell them what your criteria are, (including engine weight and budget) and take their advice to heart. You do not have to buy from Van's, although I certainly wouldn't discourage it. You can get a Ly-clone and I believe at least one engine supplier, Titan, will build your engine with the fuel injection / ignition system you are interested in and save you the trouble of stripping parts and reselling them. Whether or not you need a counterbalanced engine depends partially on the prop you want to use. I chose the m1b for it's low price, light weight and smooth / non snorkel cowl. I've been flying it for nearly seven years and am very happy with it, but you won't go wrong with either model. The engines with piston cooling oil jets put more heat in the oil but this can be overcome with the right oil cooler set up. Good luck with customizing your bird. This is what makes experimentals fun!

If you're putting on the full EFII kit, ignition and injection, then that kit comes with its own throttle body. It's vertically inducted. It makes a difference because the vertical induction lower cowl is necessarily a little deeper.

Don't forget there's also Sam James cowls. :) Good luck!

Scott - Per FlyEFII, it will work on either, with no cowl modification on either. Funny thing about the Sam James cowls: Many prefer them for the looks (in addition to the cooling), but for me, I like the looks so much less, they aren't an option for me. Just different opinions. We just be happy for this, otherwise we would all be flying the same cloned "best" variant, which would be very boring.

Joe - I was aware of the wikipedia page, and that wasn't what I was looking for (but thanks anyway). I was looking for a post that linked an article specifically about the opposite, in effect saying that if you just look at the variants, people are thinking "It's the same engine other than <x>", when really, there are far more differences inside. A good example of this is the reference that you made to oil jets. That is nowhere on the wikipedia list, but it is a difference in the engines. Another example would be roller lifters. Some have them, and some don't, and the wikipedia page doesn't show that level of detail.