LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I love the airport where I'm building my RV-7A -- Fleming Field in South St. Paul. But, sadly, it doesn't love me, anymore.

Fleming (KSGS) is a small airport tucked into a dense, working-class neighborhood along the Mississippi River. There are at least four RV projects that I'm aware of on the field, but reality will soon drive most experimental projects away from Fleming, at least until after a project is completed somewhere else.

It's a hard lesson to learn: Before you move your RV project to the airport, make sure the airport loves your RV project. More on the blog.

KSGS

I hate to hear that.

Isn't Flemming Field where Wipaire is based? My guess is they do the majority of the "experimental airplane flying" off of that airport. I bet the airport authority has no plans to shut them down.....

CDE

Yeah, Wip is on the field. So is the CAF, which operates B-25, a P-51 and a couple of T-6s off the field, and of course there's the usual assortment of aging GA aircraft.

The problem isn't the airport authority -- they (or actually HE ) -- is a really good guy. The problem is the lack of clarity on the issue from the FAA to the DAR to the airport authority to the builders. I doubt the airport manager is even aware of the problem but he needs to be, obviously.

This is an area, I think, where the RV builders group and/or the EAA can get a firm answer for builders and share it with airport officials in each case so that builders don't have to learn about it by trying to fly their completed RVs off the field.

As I said, I tend to agree with Doug Weiller -- famed RV-4 builder -- who doesn't like the idea of flying an experimental off the field. The problem is builders need to do far, far better due diligence than I did in this case because there's no mechanism in place -- other than word of mouth -- to preventing it from occurring.

Underlying all of this, of course, is data. What is the experience of RV airplanes on first flights. How often does the engine quit or a significant safety problem occur on first flight takeoff?

I realize that production aircraft have their first flights out in the boonies so it can't be compared to that, but how is the first flight experience compared to say, the odds of a 50 year old Cessna 150 losing an engine on takeoff?

Or maybe I don't want to know the answer to that. :D

Bob,
Sorry to hear about the situation your going through. I am based at Lake Elmo Airport (right behind Dougs hangar). Unfortunaly a lot of airports are starting to not be very friendly anymore to the experimental projects.
If you find yourself needing help relocating your project I would be more than happy to help. There are a lot of hangars out at Lake Elmo for rent right now that you would be able to get into without an issue.
Another option that you might be able to have is to explain to your DAR how to ferry your airpalne out of Flemming for the first flight. Maybe if you explain a flight path to him that would not take you over residental areas and make your way to airlake or lake elmo he may sign off on it. Would hate to see you take steps backwards with the building process.

No love at my airport

Or any airport within a 30 miles radius of my house. I am currently driving a hour each way to fly phase 1. Plus the 6 months of driving to complete the project. I have put a lot more miles on my truck in the past months.

Is word of mouth the only way to determine if Phase one testing is permitted? Would a call to the local FSDO be in order?

I'm at least a couple years away from moving to the airfield (ordering my tail kit next week), but I'm looking at two different airfields. One is about 30-40 minutes away, and the other 15-20. The closer one is in a pretty dense area, so that may cause problems. The other is kind of out there, but who to ask? :confused:

Thanks!

The FAA has taken a pretty hard line stand on allowing first flights from a lot of airports, even though there is a prior history of SAFE first flight activity at the same airports.

My airport, and the nearest one also, have fallen under this sudden, and unwarranted action, a year and a half ago at the least.

The feds gave the reason as the area around the airports is too "congested", but when pressed for a definition of congested, they could not/would not give one.

Typical heavy handed misuse of power it would appear.:mad:

Our EAA chapter prez met with the EAA, and a FAA official at Oshkosh 08 to discuss this, so far no resolution that I have heard.

I would encourage all readers to contact EAA, and AOPA and ask for assistance in this matter.

appropriate airport for first flights

I have the same issue here, when the countries largest airports were deemed off limits to first flights due to a crash of a Wheeler Express (not a first flight). This is really a shame, since the Geneva airport has a very nice long runway, and plenty of landing sites when taking off on 05.

From what I can see from Google Maps, Bob's airport really does not look like an appropriate airport for a first flight, but I'm not comfortable with the idea that they would not be allowed.

MIke

why not ? this airport is suitable with 4000 ft. I tested mine (3.600 ft) with an rv-6 and you can take off and land well before the end of the field. Then, on this picture you can see a lot of free space before/after the macadam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StPaulAirport.JPG

Btw IMHO

1) NO high speed taxi test

2) mojave desert is always better :)

ps: mike, let me know your rv-8 status

Last edited:
Bob,
There are a lot of hangars out at Lake Elmo for rent right now that you would be able to get into without an issue.
Another option that you might be able to have is to explain to your DAR how to ferry your airpalne out of Flemming for the first flight. Maybe if you explain a flight path to him that would not take you over residental areas and make your way to airlake or lake elmo he may sign off on it. Would hate to see you take steps backwards with the building process.

Great. Spread my name around. I'm certainly looking now. Hate to leave KSGS, but I don't see where I have a choice.

The problem with KSGS (see pix on the blog) is there is no route that doesn't take you over residential. Very packed. You can take off to the south and plan on ditching in the Mississippi, but there are still neighborhoods first... oh, and an oil refinery.

why not ? this airport is suitable with 4000 ft. I tested mine (3.600 ft) with an rv-6 and you can take off and land well before the end of the field. Then, on this picture you can see a lot of free space before/after the macadam.

I think one of the problems is it's under the MSP Class B with a 2300' floor. At 820 elevation, a pilot doesn't have that RV luxury of buying some quick altitude that could be traded in in the event of an engine out. There's not a lot of wiggle room with only 1,500 feet and a hill at the end of the runway.

I don't blame the determination that it's not suitable and, like I said, if pilots -- RV pilots at that -- who I respect are saying that, that ends that aspect of the conversation for me and it becomes a question of "where to now?"

Is word of mouth the only way to determine if Phase one testing is permitted? Would a call to the local FSDO be in order?
Thanks!

I alluded to this on the blog post. The last time we checked, FSDO was recommending against it but was not mandating against it; instead leaving it up to the DARs. They're against it.

We're trying to find out if that's been codified in some way. I have heard of one first flight recently and that's another option, perhaps -- rip out the lightspeed and put a second mag in. If the only problem is the "non standard" engine/prop combination.

Of course I'm still a year or so, probably, away from flying and I don't really need to know what the policy is now; I need to know what it's going to be then. :D Because if definitely affects what I can do in terms of building right now.

I think one of the problems is it's under the MSP Class B with a 2300' floor. At 820 elevation, a pilot doesn't have that RV luxury of buying some quick altitude that could be traded in in the event of an engine out. There's not a lot of wiggle room with only 1,500 feet and a hill at the end of the runway.

I don't blame the determination that it's not suitable and, like I said, if pilots -- RV pilots at that -- who I respect are saying that, that ends that aspect of the conversation for me and it becomes a question of "where to now?"

Bob, full respect to you and your thread ! I've not considered MSP Class B @ 820 ft/elev. Sorry. You're right!

We're trying to find out if that's been codified in some way. I have heard of one first flight recently and that's another option, perhaps -- rip out the lightspeed and put a second mag in. If the only problem is the "non standard" engine/prop combination.

Don't forget about the non-certified part; we can replace our ignitions but that won't matter - our engines aren't certified and our props aren't either.

I wonder what the penalty would be for .... nevermind.

Bob
I had a similar issue when I was ready for my first flight out of KFCM (Flying Cloud). I already had my operating limitations from the DAR and was working on a few last minute details a guy in a MAC (Metro airport comm.) truck pulls up. He informs me that no first flights are allowed at any MAC airport. WHAT?? Thinking quickly I tell him "yeah I'm going to haul it out to Glencoe for flight testing". That got rid of him. Calls to MAC HQ yielded a variety of answers and no clear policy so I went ahead with the first flight out of FCM.

In addition to the low time pilot/first flight stress was the chance of the sheriff waiting for me when I returned. Everything worked out OK. I did request the cross wind runway for the first few flights as that departure path would carry me out over a river and swamps (oops, wetlands) rather than a shopping center and soccer fields full of kids.

None of this helps you much except to say, finish your airplane and when the time comes and first flight out of Fleming is a no-go, then pulling the wings off and hauling the project to another airport is no big deal after all the hours spent building.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Last edited:
Don't forget about the non-certified part; we can replace our ignitions but that won't matter - our engines aren't certified and our props aren't either.

I wonder what the penalty would be for .... nevermind.

I hate to say it but don't think I haven't thought -- at least for a second -- about taking off at night and going to Lakeville once I got the certificate.

But it only took a second for me to slap myself with such a stupid idea.

I hate to say it but don't think I haven't thought -- at least for a second -- about taking off at night and going to Lakeville once I got the certificate.

But it only took a second for me to slap myself with such a stupid idea.

Of course the idea is silly: you'd certainly want to do something like that during daylight hours.

;)

Doug Weiller sends along this ruling from DAR Tim Mahoney:

If ANYONE plans on test flying an amateur-built aircraft out of SGS, they will only be allowed to do so if the engine and prop combination are certified. This would involve a corridor over the river to the south out of the Class B area to their assigned test flight area. If the engine and prop are not certified as a unit, then they will get a ONE TIME out to the south via the river to the Airlake airport. They will then have to test fly the aircraft from there. When I state a certified engine, I mean an engine that has a certified fuel system and ignition systems as a part of the engine. (no electronic ignitions or experimental fuel systems) This is the policy as of now, but it would not surprise me if in the near future all test flights out of SGS were treated the same as MIC. (no test flights, period)

So that appears to eliminate Lake Elmo as an option, and, at least in my case, will require a 40 minute (each way) commute during the testing period. Not fatal, but just another pain in the neck.

What's interesting about this particular issue is that for all the writing that EAA puts out, you almost never hear anyone talk about what is obviously a growing problem if my email, this thread, and the blog comments are any indication.

I doubt it's an issue that's going to go away but I'm sure going to add it to my rap when people ask me about building an airplane near major urban areas (or even minor ones).

So that appears to eliminate Lake Elmo as an option, and, at least in my case, will require a 40 minute (each way) commute during the testing period. Not fatal, but just another pain in the neck.

I inquired about this; apparently Lake Elmo is not an option to fly to from KSGS, but it's fine for first flights.

I refuse to let this issue discourage me further. If anything, this will only encourage me to finish my aircraft sooner, rather than later. This issue makes me think of a fairy tale I heard a long, long, time ago :

Once upon a time, there was a man who was building his own airplane.
One day, the FAA came to tell him he was not allowed to fly his airplane from his home airport, but it was too late: the man had finished his airplane, got it signed off, and was gone flying. A dragon came and chased the FAA away, and the man flew his plane happily ever after.
The End.

Bob,
While I'm not familiar with SGS, I do know that there are a few airports around the DFW area where firsts flights are not allowed. I have been involved with more than one denial.
You can find the "rule" in FAA Order 8130.2F, paragraph 135(b).
Yes, there are not too many engine failures on first flights, but there are some. What if you had one, and went down in a residential neighborhood killing people in their home. What would that do for Experimental Aviation?
Any time this comes up with me, I go down and talk with the FSDO, we study satellite pictures and aerial photos of the surrounding areas and make a determination. It is by no means meant to hinder experimental aviation. It's to promote it.
I'm sorry if some people take this the wrong way, but in this case, I think it is the right thing.

What if you had one, and went down in a residential neighborhood killing people in their home. What would that do for Experimental Aviation?

Well, as I said, I don't have a problem with the decision. My beef is more with the lack of any clear method of communicating what airports will and won't allow it. Word of mouth is not effective.

I think it would be a very project for EAA, for example, to assemble a directory of airports where first flights will not be allowed so that we can avoid those airports in our building process. It only makes sense, and it would be a tremendous service to homebuilders.

As I said, I'm not trying to overturn the rules or the decision, I'm trying to call attention to a "gotcha" of building and warning people that you have to find out while your project is still in the garage or basement, what airports you can fly from on first flight.

But to your point, I ask because I want to know the actual data compared to, say, certified airplanes. How often do engines fail on takeoff? If you live in a house on a flight path, do you have a better chance of having an experimental come through the living room roof? Or a certified airplane.

Now, obviously, there are more certifieds out there would be more, but the more I hear the discussion, the more it sounds like experimental airplane builders reacting the same way that the non-flying public acts when you tell them you're building an airplane? "Are you crazy?"

Theoretically -- and only theoretically -- if there's a significant risk of planes falling through people's roofs, and if such a consequence will make it difficult for us to apply our hobby, then we probably should close more airports, sacrificing them so that those people who live near other airports can continue to fly without the negative reaction to it.

Take Brad's note above that you can't fly to Lake Elmo out of KSGS, but you can fly to Lakeville. The route to Lake Elmo takes you -- or could -- down the Mississippi and up the St. Croix River, where a fairly rural Wisconsin is on your right. Flying to Lakeville takes you (a) past an oil refinery and past the fastest-growing part of the Twin Cities. They have houses.

I can't think of too many experimentals that have gone down around the Twin Cities. The last few fatals have involved mid-airs and, ironically, a P-51 in Red Wing which crashed into a yard. Ironically, that P-51 was rebuilt -- it's the Red Tail Project -- and guess where it lives now? Right. KSGS.

So, as I said, I don't object to the application of a safety concern, but I certainly object to the portions where logic isn't applied in a consistent manner.

That pet peeve, incidentally, extends to more than just aviation. (g)

Last edited:
But to your point, I ask because I want to know the actual data compared to, say, certified airplanes. How often do engines fail on takeoff? If you live in a house on a flight path, do you have a better chance of having an experimental come through the living room roof? Or a certified airplane.

We're not talking experimental aircraft versus certified aircraft here. We're talking experimental aircraft on "first flights". I don't think I would want a certified aircraft doing a "first flight" over residential area either. The risk on a first flight IS greater with either airplane.

And concerning the spreading of "the word" about which airports are involved, I agree that this should be done in a more consistent manner. If you read AC 20-27G, it tells you that when you begin building, you should contact the local FSDO. At that point the FSDO should give you this information. I know most people don't contact the FSDO at this point, but they are really supposed to.

Last edited:
We're not talking experimental aircraft versus certified aircraft here. We're talking experimental aircraft on "first flights".

Since I started the thread, Mel, I pretty much know what we're talking about. :D I brought up the question simply because I want to know the data and I want to fully understand the philosophy behind restricting one aspect of flight and not, say another.

I don't think I would want a certified aircraft doing a "first flight" over residential area either. The risk on a first flight IS greater with either airplane.

I'm not disagreeing with you but how much greater? I assume experimentals fail on takeoff on first flight at a rate greater than, say, second flight, or third, or after 40 hours. I'm interested in knowing what the rate is, and -- frankly -- I'm interested in knowing whether the people setting the policy know what that rate is.

You're talking about a public reaction to an event as negatively impacting experimental aviation and that's a great point. But I'm going to hazard a guess and say the public reaction wouldn't change if a plane was on the 1st flight or the 50th so the question becomes how FAR down the restriction road do we want to go to protect this threat to our image? It's a good idea -- in KSGS' case -- to restrict 1st flights. But if an experimental fails at roughly the same rate after a fly-off period, why not just ban experimentals from KSGS altogether? And if there is a difference, what is the threshold for acceptable/unacceptable? A 20% chance? A 30% chance?

I want to know whether there's sound data here to be considered, or whether these things spring up out of an emotional reponse not unlike the kind we see -- and constantly criticize -- by airport neighbors.

In assessing risk, I want to assess it on facts. My guess is if anyone has this data, it's Ron Wanttaja. But I haven't seen it and I'm curious whether anybody else has.

And concerning the spreading of "the word" about which airports are involved, I agree that this should be done in a more consistent manner. If you read AC 20-27G, it tells you that when you begin building, you should contact the local FSDO. At that point the FSDO should give you this information. I know most people don't contact the FSDO at this point, but they are really supposed to.

Sure, and people should know where to find torque values and what the regulations are but if they did do that, you wouldn't be selling an article to Kitplanes every month.:D

If we can just step back and remember our roots a bit, deciding to build an experimental aircraft is hard. There's a blizzard of information out there to consume in a relatively short period of time. People simply don't know what questions to ask and frankly it's highly unlikely that a novice airplane builder is going to know to ask "Can I fly my plane on first flight off Airport XYZ?" and it's even less likely that the FSDO is going to volunteer the information, "By the way, you're not going to be able to fly your airplane of Airport XYZ?" Especially when -- as I indicated in the original article -- these particular restrictions were not in place when I started my airplane in 2001. We don't even know if they were in place when I moved my aircraft to KSGS in 2007.

We think they originated when one DAR decided David Maib couldn't fly his RV-10 off the field and then was able to get the FSDO to go along with that idea. The DAR -- not the FSDO -- is the one who influenced the change, but it also showed the inconsistency between DARs. I believe the initial determination was a flat "no" for David and then, perhaps after another DAR got involved, was modified to a "maybe." I would think that sort of thing would lead to DAR-shopping and I'm not sure that's a good thing in the long run. As I understand it, this particular person would take days to go over an RV and at one point some influential RVers took him aside and reminded him that RVs aren't the space shuttle. So that's another reason why I'd rather have strong determinations and policies rather than ones that might pop up because that's just the way somebody felt one day, and the next thing you know it gets codified.

So, yeah, we can just say "you should've known" except that's not the way reality works in matters like this.

If you're building an airplane now, you not only have to know what the situation is at a particular airport now, you have to figure out the political winds at a particular airport are now that might lead to a different reality at the point where you're ready for first flight, assuming you have a realistic timetable for when that first flight might be. That's an art few people can master on their first homebuilt so anything we can do to call attention to that will substantially benefit the future of experimental aviation.

Of course the other aspect of this is another thread but if electronic ignition is a safety issue, why are we using them?

Last edited:
OK, Obviously my attempted explanations are not contributing anything to the discussion so I will back out.

BTW, These restrictions are not new. They have been in place for at least 10 years. I have been dealing with them since I first became a DAR in 1999.

BTW, These restrictions are not new. They have been in place for at least 10 years. I have been dealing with them since I first became a DAR in 1999.

Of course they're not. But we also know -- AOPA and EAA are constantly reminding us -- that the entanglements of restrictions and regulations are not a static realism, they expand and ensnare more and more people, and more and more airports. That why I mentioned that a homebuilder -- unless you're wealthy enough to live on an airpark or you have your own strip on the south 40 -- has to become knowledgeable about the political aspects of every airport you're considering building at and anticipate restrictions that may ensnare you at first flight time that might not exist today.

Experimental aviation is about recreation AND education, which implies that people learn things as they go; they don't know everything when they start. This particular problem is an expanding one and -- as I've already mentioned -- is an undercovered one.

All I'm suggesting is we think of way to help those who haven't reached this stage a little bit more. Calling more attention to the situation is one way of doing that. It's a good thing and you're to be congratulated for sharing your knowledge. I'm going to post my blog on the airport bulletin board and I'm suggesting EAA chapters consider a monthly program, for example, to get first flight considerations into the minds of homebuilders right from the get-go.

My suspicion as I discuss this with people more is that there really isn't data out there -- or at least not readily available data out there (or it would've been cited) -- that comes into play as these things are debated and people with influence affect policy that affects airport tenants around the country. And the reasons -- particularly the "it's for the good of the image of experimental aviation" -- may be more emotional than anything else. Sort of like the security checkpoints at the nation's airports -- a total show to create the illusion of safety.

I'm all for protecting people on the ground from the apparently considerable danger of an experimental airplane in their neighborhood, but I'd like someone to tell me exactly what that danger is and how that danger lessens with each flight. Without that data, I think hysteria may play a bigger part in policy than it should. We have a duty to ask those who favor restrictions for the proof that they actually accomplish what they are intended to.

Good lord, I'm starting to sound like a libertarian. You've done this to me, N614EF!

Last edited:

The sticker for me in this is that while the local FSDO permits first flights out of SGS to LVN as has been discussed, they also say that could change but couldn't be more vague about it :

Q: "If it changes, will there be a grace period before the new rule takes effect?"
A: "Probably not."

Q: "If it changes, will there be any grandfathering for aircraft which are almost complete and would be difficult to move to another airport prior to first flight?"
A: "Probably not."

The result is that we have a situation which could arbitrarily change at any time, without warning, and we have no recourse. That's what the crux of the issue is for me - it is not whether or not first flights out of SGS should be allowed.

Bingo. This situation is basically the homebuilding version of a TFR that pops up without notice. The "you should've known" reaction to those things isn't always an appropriate response, either.

Brad, what say we sneak out tonight and paint two big X's at each end of the runway? (g)