todehnal

Well Known Member
The plans call for prosealing the top of the tank filler neck to the fuselage. I know that removing the tank will probably be an annual affair. The problem is that the fuel return line extends about 2 1/2" above the tank filler flange. To me, it looks like you would have to remove the filler neck with the tank, rather than merely loosening the rubber collar and sliding it out. Has anyone thought about cutting the return line off, flush with the top of the tank flange? Now, removing the tank would be a piece of cake.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Please read the plans again and you will find that you use a separating agent so that the Pro-Seal does not stick to the aircraft skin, it is just making a firm matching pad. It will come right off when you need to remove the tank.

Best regards,
Vern

The filler neck needs to be removed to take the tank out.

Vern is right, you need to put some release agent between the skin and the proseal of the filler neck mounting flange. If you did not, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to work it loose, just take your time.

Last edited:
Just A Thought

The filler neck needs to be removed to take the tank out. At least that has been my experience.

Vern is right, you need to put some release agent between the skin and the proseal of the filler neck mounting flange.

Thanks guys! I saw that in the plans, but I thought that it might be better to stick the filler neck to the skin and eliminate any possibility of fuel entering the cabin during the fueling process. So, to make tank removal easy, I was considering shortening the return line. I can't imagine why it needs to be so tall. I know, stick with the plans. Someone, much smarter than me, figured this all out for me.

Tom

Release agent

A coating of car wax is not good enough to keep the proseal from sticking to the aluminum skin. I recommend using the car wax, then a layer of clear packaging tape, and then another coating of car wax on top of the tape.
Joe

A coating of car wax is not good enough to keep the proseal from sticking to the aluminum skin. I recommend using the car wax, then a layer of clear packaging tape, and then another coating of car wax on top of the tape.
Joe

All depends on what car wax you use. Another alternative is a light coating of wheel bearing grease.

All depends on what car wax you use. Another alternative is a light coating of wheel bearing grease.

I used a coating of silicone stopcock grease. Others have used Vaseline with good results. The proseal coated fuel neck flange came free from the side skin easily after allowing it to set up for 4-5 days or so.

I'm in the same situation as Tom, in that the fuel return line ends up several inches above the tank flange. I'd like to cut the tube off at the flange height but would like to know if there is a technical reason for Van's calling for such a lengthy return line. This first time builder appreciates any thoughts. Thanx

I'm in the same situation as Tom, in that the fuel return line ends up several inches above the tank flange. I'd like to cut the tube off at the flange height but would like to know if there is a technical reason for Van's calling for such a lengthy return line. This first time builder appreciates any thoughts. Thanx

Cutting it off would be of no value. The tank can not be removed without removing the filler tube. There is no difficulty removing the filler tube with the return line protruding out of the fuel tank.

Cutting it off would be of no value. The tank can not be removed without removing the filler tube. There is no difficulty removing the filler tube with the return line protruding out of the fuel tank.

I agree with Scott. With the return line protruding up, there is no problem removing the fuel neck tube. And, it MUST be removed to remove the tank.

After certification you can as one builder has done, put nutplates on the filler neck tube flange and removal and installation is a one person operation.

Marty, the nutplate idea is a good one. If I have to take the tank out for certification inspection I think I'll install the nutplates before it goes back together.

John