Bob Brown

Well Known Member
I posted this without top cowl and wheel pants...here's the rest.

200 hrs prep + 100 hrs of painting/masking + 2500$ in paint and supplies =
rv12038yy2.jpg

rv12039mq2.jpg

rv12040vi7.jpg

rv12041fv6.jpg

Gorgeous Paint Job

It shows that you took great pride in the prep work prior to paint. Great job.

A new career in your future???

Enjoy flying.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

let's try another picture

IMG]http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/9149/rv12040pj4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]

rv12041or5.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice Job Bob

Mine took close to 400 hours from bare metal to finsihed paint.

hard to believe it took that long huh?

Frank

Very nice, i really like the scheme. I am surprised you did not paint the propeller to match but maybe that is a tough task.

I can't get no satisfaction...

from painting. My neighbor who helped me with this (and has painted 7 full sized planes and lots of RC's) told me upfront how much time it would take and I just didn't...no couldn't believe him. I didn't believe how tough it is to cover everything with yellow...the red and gold cover great, but even though the etching primer was a yellow, we continually had to go back and recover areas with the basecoat. No big deal, but if you just assume you shoot the base and then the clear, you'd be disappointed with the results in some of the yellow areas.

At least a couple of times during the prep phase I was ready to pick up the phone and pay someone...

Now, I have the full appreciation of what goes into a paintjob. I now have a good case of painters elbow too. Though this paintjob has its goobers and dust (+ two bugs and a cat hair in the clear coat), I am happy with it and I don't think I'll have to make too many excuses...but I'm not going to point out the errors either!!!

You need to stop by Frank, I haven't seen your plane since you painted it. I'll buy you an artery plugger at the Starduster!

Now that painting is behind me, I am more than happy to continue flying!! Now, if that Oregon weather would ease up a bit...

I know it's to late to help but here is a tip for yellow. Put down a nice white base first then paint yellow. This helps keep everything even.

:)

3 stage

KTM520 wrote: "here is a tip for yellow. Put down a nice white base first then paint yellow. This helps keep everything even."

Interesting you mention laying down the white...when I was picking out colors I found several yellows that I liked, but when they looked them up on the color computer they said I'd have to lay down an undercoat of white. I wasn't too keen on that, so kept looking and finally found a yellow that didn't call for the white undercoat...guess what, I'd have been better off with it.

Timely post

This is good information and timely since we are about to paint a wide yellow section. Guess we will be better off to paint all white and then the yellow over the top.
Thanks for the info guys.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

When I was discussing various paint schemes with my painter, silver was one of my main colors in one of the schemes I came up with. While trying to keep it 3 colors total (silver, red and blue) he mentioned he was gonna have to add a fourth - a white foundation for the silver.

So check with the experienced guys... a white base layer may be required for best results.

Virtually any color you go with will be affected by the color underneath. Red over blue, red over white, red over gray, etc. all look quite different. It's not necesssarily a bad thing and can be used to advantage. However, if you're trying to match an existing car color, you really should find out what color is underneath. As far as extra weight, it should't be a concern if you just use a colored sealer. White's a pretty safe bet for many colors, but tends to brighten them.

Hey Bob

Bob Brown said:
You need to stop by Frank, I haven't seen your plane since you painted it. I'll buy you an artery plugger at the Starduster!

Hi Bob,

Yes I need to. I been so busy flying my Instrument training I hardly remember what fun flying is like...Its wierd, almost like if I fly VFR I almost have to remind myself to look out the window! My CFII is also building a 7a.

I painted the plane before the first flight and to be honest I'm really glad I did.

But anyway I have another 8 or 9 hours before checkride time so I should be off the leash soon and I'll take you up on lunch.

Cheers bob

Frank