pilot28906

Well Known Member
Friday night me and my Dad finished the HS on my RV7/7A(?)! :D It was nice to have at least one part completed.

How are most logging build time? Hours spent on project or man hours? I have about 50 hours on the HS but about 70 man-hours with my Dad's help. Is this about the norm? Any way it is nice to have a piece of an airplane.

John

Congratulations. I finished mine two weeks ago. Now, when you get to the rudder, be careful with R-710 or you will be ordering a new one just like I am right now.

Congratulations from me too. I finished my HS recently also. I was just getting ready to cut my R-710... anything in particular I should be careful about?

-Mark

storage

Thanks for the info on the problem area. Any advise on storage of finished pieces? Keep the blue plastic on, prime, clean, covers..etc?

Thanks,
John

morlino said:
Congratulations from me too. I finished my HS recently also. I was just getting ready to cut my R-710... anything in particular I should be careful about?

-Mark

Do a search in the forums here on "R-710". If you cut the part according to the instructions Vans gives, you will probably end up with not enough metal left to rivet the skins and rib to the brace. Beware.

John

Congrats....it does feel good to finish the HS as many of the skills to build the rest of the aircraft are now in grained. In regards to time. In the beginning I was real anal about keeping tabs on ALL time spent on the plane. As of late I keep close tabs on time but gave up on comparison to others, exactness in time keeping......but instead just find enjoyment in the process as it unfolds. Do keep an accurate log with pictures as they will really help as you have problems, accomplishments to remember, and info to help we who are known as the unfortunate builders needing help!

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

i can spend a lot of time if needed on mine. i got the tail kit mar 7 and as of 9pm easter sunday, i have hs,vs and rudder done, except for fiberglass tips. i will wait to do all fiberglass work at the same time. itching one time is better than 4 or 5 times! LOL . just started the stringers and will stop for now. it is a lot of fun!
have been trying to purchase someones unfinished rv7a kit because of the lead time from vans! but not much luck yet.
fred

I'm slow.

On the Rudder, be careful to cut the correct side of the rudder stiffiners off, or you'll be ordering new stiffiners like me :). The rudder just got set aside and I went onto the elevators.