bret

Well Known Member
So.... the plane is almost done, waiting on some panel stuff to finish, received my Registration for N4RT, must have done that part right ;-) ELT is registered with NOAA, does that need a test-check logged? Got in line for the wait list on a hanger, do you make a POH with a lot of fill in the blanks? or wait till phase 1 is done, I know I will need W&B when assembled, transponder check? static and pito check for VFR? Plan in place for transition training and insurance, flight test cards along with AC 90-89B, how does the request for AW inspection go? do I mail in 8130-6? so many steps......?

So.... the plane is almost done, waiting on some panel stuff to finish, received my Registration for N4RT, must have done that part right ;-) ELT is registered with NOAA, does that need a test-check logged? Yes, as part of your annual condition inspection which must be completed and logged prior to airworthiness inspection. Got in line for the wait list on a hanger, do you make a POH with a lot of fill in the blanks? Not a bad idea. POH can contain lots of other good info to have on board besides performance data.or wait till phase 1 is done, I know I will need W&B when assembled Yep., transponder check? Not necessary yet, unless your phase 1 is in an area that requires transponder operation. Prior to using the transponder, yes. I pulled the fuse and placarded mine inop for the first few flights until I could get it over to another local airport for the check.static and pitot check for VFR? Not necessary for VFR Plan in place for transition training and insurance, flight test cards along with AC 90-89B, how does the request for AW inspection go? Two options: call your local MIDO or hire a DAR. I started out down the MIDO path, and once I became thoroughly convinced they were going to run me around and make the process as drawn out and painful as possible, I bit the bullet and hired a DAR. Best decision I ever made. do I mail in 8130-6? so many steps......?

Do you have someone local who has been through the process to advise? A call to the MIDO, FSDO (for areas outside the immediate vicinity of a MIDO) or DAR will get the ball rolling and help clear up exactly what they will need.

So a licensed repair shop must sign off on the new install transponder? or any A&P?

Have you decided on a DAR inspection, or you going with the Reno FSDO guys? If you are hiring a DAR, then they'll help you answer a lot of these questions. The FSDO did a reasonably good job for us on our Tundra a few months ago, but I had to educate them on a number of key points along the way - and which points will depend on the inspector they assign.