prkaye

Well Known Member
Feels like a real milestone to be able to change my autosignature to say "finish kit" here. My kit is shipping this week. I've finished everything in the fuselage plans. Now I'm wondering when to start doing wiring (something I've been dreading because of my lack of knowledge). I'd like to get the canopy cutting and drilling done this summer while the weather is hot (it gets cool in ottawa in Sept and then quickly gets quite cold). When would you guys suggest I start running wires, and what should I start with?? How much wiring can be done before I start buying avionics and radios and stuff?

My plans...
Hey Phil I got my finish kit last summer and have not done ANY wiring, or avionics yet. I will order engine at osh, and of course have to make some choices...but get the wings fitted, get all the loose ends done. All that slow stuff i want out of the way before the good stuff gets ordered. I plan on doing the engine/cowl over the late fall and winter and all electronics late winter early spring. I see lots of guys cutting the canopy on build sites and they have their panels almost done. My plan is go get the latest greatest stuff i can and get er done when all the slow stuff is already finished. Not sure if thats the smartest plan, but its what i am doing. You must be making great time...good job keep it up.

Get the Aeroelectric Connection wiring handbook by Bob Nuckolls. Read it and decide if you want breakers or fuses...your call. If you want breakers, they'll most likely be in the panel, if you choose fuses, you'll need to decide where you want the fuse blocks. Those points then become "home bases" for your wiring. If you decide (and I encourage you) to use a single point ground, you need to decide where to put that. It will become the "home base" for your ground wires. In the meantime you can begin a simple drawing that maps out things like tail lights/strobes, strobe power packs, antenna wiring points (ELT's, coms and GPS(s)), flap wiring, flap wiring sensors, etc. If you go more than basic and want to install sensors for things like canopy open switches, etc...do the research now to figure out what's involved in installing those and start thinking about where you want your major wiring runs to be. The more you map out on paper, and the more you pre-plan...the more cleaner (and ultimately more maintenance friendly) your electrical system will be. Start by reading the Aeroelectric Connection and then start compiling your lists of all things electrical that will be installed in your plane. You'll have a starter, an alternator, a battery, some contactors, start with the big stuff and work outward from there. Install the battery box and battery/starter contactors to begin with. Then just take things one by one...dont' get hung up in a "dreading wiring" mentality. Every circuit is a simple independent thing that should go through fairly simple analysis and planning. 12V DC wiring is pretty simple once you understand things like how much power something will draw and how far the wire run is. Stay tuned and keep asking questions. If I can successfully wire an airplane, ANYONE can.

thanks guys. I have actually read most of Nuckoll's book. I guess what I'm wondering now is how much of a start can i get one wiring before I have any avionics or an engine? It's a catch-22... if I order teh engine too soon it sits unused for longer (and I have to dish out all that cash sooner), but if i order my avionics too soon I miss-out on advancements in technology. So which would be better to think about getting first... engine or panel stuff?

Last edited:
Wiring

thanks guys. I guess what I'm wondering now is how much of a start can i get one wiring before I have any avionics or an engine? It's a catch-22... if I order teh engine too soon it sits unused for longer (and I have to dish out all that cash sooner), but if i order my avionics too soon I miss-out on advancements in technology. So which would be better to think about getting first... engine or panel stuff?

Phil,
I have some electrical background from a previous life (Navy IC man) and agree the Bob Nuckolls book is a good starting point. I also plan to really check out Marc Ausman's Verticle Power system at OSH. It sounds like VP will really simplify wiring your panel, and although it will probably be more expensive, it includes a lot of things I planned on buying anyway. Such as wig-wag for landing/taxi lights and power trim controllers. The functionality of the Verticle Power system sounds very good. Can't wait to get a test drive at OSH.
Good luck,

Last edited:
thanks guys. I have actually read most of Nuckoll's book. I guess what I'm wondering now is how much of a start can i get one wiring before I have any avionics or an engine? It's a catch-22... if I order teh engine too soon it sits unused for longer (and I have to dish out all that cash sooner), but if i order my avionics too soon I miss-out on advancements in technology. So which would be better to think about getting first... engine or panel stuff?

Get the engine first. Engines haven't changed that much in the last 50 years....EFIS's/Avionics seem to change daily. Wait until the last possible moment to buy them, then you can't have any regrets.

As far as starting to wire stuff, you can mount the master relay, starter solenoid, and battery now. You need to do all of that before you put the engine mount on for good, so that's a good starting point. Next you can move onto wiring stuff up like the strobe power supply, ELT and other doodads that go in the aft area of the fuselage. If you are going the fuse route, you can put some fuse blocks in the subpanel space. You can also do antenna runs and just leave one of the end of the coax run unterminated until you know where the radio is going.

There is definitely no lack of items you can be working on now!

Six of one; half-dozen of the other.

The statement about engines not changing much is spot-on! However, if you decide on a suite of avionics it'll likely be just as useable in twenty years as it is next year. If you choose a good glass panel, most of the updates will likely be software related or you could choose to go with the venerable old "six-pack" which is still working fine. Look at other's panels, make a decision, and press-on. It'll solve a bit of the catch-22.

Happy building and safe flying!