Mevans

My previous experience is with plans built,(long ez), so excuse my basic questions. I have looked at what appears to be the contents of a -6 finish kit. It seems to include engine mount, cowling, canopy, gear legs, brakes, and fiberglass moldings.

Do I have to buy a finish kit? If I bought an engine mount, gear legs and canopy from Van's, and gather aftermarket brakes and cowling, then fabricate my own glass mouldings and skirt on my canopy, do I still get the required paperwork from Van's showing kit purchase for licensure. Please tell me what I am missing.

Do what you want

You have the build "rights" and kit options when you aquire your serial# plans. Some have scratch built from plans alone, and from VANs prospective, one plane per set of plans. They will give you the bill of sale for the kit on that basis. The finish kit contains the hardest parts to scratch build, and with options that currently exist, I bet many do what you are speculating. I ordered my -4 wing kit without skins, because I made my own one piece skins in lieu of the kit 2 piece...same difference, different kit.

My previous experience is with plans built,(long ez), so excuse my basic questions. I have looked at what appears to be the contents of a -6 finish kit. It seems to include engine mount, cowling, canopy, gear legs, brakes, and fiberglass moldings.

Do I have to buy a finish kit? If I bought an engine mount, gear legs and canopy from Van's, and gather aftermarket brakes and cowling, then fabricate my own glass mouldings and skirt on my canopy, do I still get the required paperwork from Van's showing kit purchase for licensure. Please tell me what I am missing.

Vans doesn't discount parts on a complete kit. Where you make up savings is shipping.

Last edited:
Thanks, looks like I am on the right track, where can i find a -6 finish kit packing list so I can see what exactly is in the finish kit?

Thanks, looks like I am on the right track, where can i find a -6 finish kit packing list so I can see what exactly is in the finish kit?
When they wake up, just call Vans and they will kindly send you a list of all the parts they consider standard the finish kit for your serial number.

You could get it from someone else, but might not be the same. While you are at it, order the CD with all the plans pictures for your plane. You certainly will not regret it.

I am assuming you bought a kit in process from another?

Finish kit

I came up with my own finish kit for my 8 , cheaper to buy what I needed vs deleting what I didn't need .Have Vans quote you prices on the parts you need .

Thank you all, yes, I am finishing a project and have boxes of parts I am still going through. I have requested a parts list from Mother and will go from there.