Cadstat

Well Known Member
I love 'em in the two stroke but the Iridiums for the Lyc are in the 80 dollar range. Those selling them say how great they are. Does anybody have an unbiased opinion on these plugs?

i have used both...................

the regular massive electrode type were replaced every 5oo hrs in my first engine. my second engine has 800 hrs on the fine wire and show no wear.they will easily run tbo with no regapping, just picking out some lead. overall i am very happy with the fine wire plugs.

I have about 500 hours

with them in my IO-540 installed on a Steen Skybolt. I fly 30 minute acro hops and despite that abuse the plugs seem bullet proof.

Ask Mattituck?

Hello,

Mahlon was also posting this here, that the fine wire spark plug if you take care and rotate them regurarly, are good till TBO!
My friends and I with engines from Mattituck, have the fine wire spark plugs installed, so far fine! We are still building or started flying, so ask again in a few years :rolleyes:

Regards Dominik

I have tried both

I started out with massive electrode plugs and flew for a few years with them with no problem. Then I switched to the super expensive fine wire plugs in search of speed. I have flown for several years with these and I only had problems with the initial installation. I was used to setting the gap as a "get it right function" without a lot of concern for the integrity of the electrode itself. Imagine my feelings when the electrode on a brand new plug cracked. I called Unison (the manufacturer of the plugs - I wanted to use their plugs with their ingnition system (LASAR) - the massive electrode plugs used earlier were Champions) and spoke to technical support about the incident. The guy I talked to said the electrode is very hard and if the plug gap is in the acceptable range you should never try to fine adjust it. It will tolerate some movement in one direction but cracking is common if you go too far and try to reverse direction. He offered a free replacement. Since then I clean the plugs and rotate engine plug locations top to bottom and side to side at each annual and I have experienced no problems. It is not uncommon for my plugs from the lower locations to be wet. I have detected no aircraft speed improvement from using the fine wire plugs.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
No more foul plugging

I've flown 750 hrs on an IO 540 with these fine but expensive plugs (Champion), and had NEVER any plug fouling issues.

I can't remember having to burn lead out of my rough running and missfiring engine during magneto check by pulling the mixture knob at 2000+ RPM.:cool:

Last edited: