Mark Cigal

Sponsor
My engine is an IO-360-A1-B6. (200 HP) I have a Plasma II electronic ignition on the right side and a standard mag on the left. I'm contemplating switching from the massive electrode standard aircraft plugs to the fine wire plugs. Will the increase in performance (if there is one) justify the increase in price ? Also, what brands have you experienced ? The Tempest fine wire plugs are about twice the cost of standard and Champions are three times the cost ! Any experience out there to indicate if they are worth the extra money ? Look forward to any input you folks may have. Thanks.......

I assume you are talking about the plugs on the Plasma side. If you plan on keeping those plugs for a really long time, then I'd go the extra expense for the fine wires. If you plan on replacing them every year, like most of us with a Lightspeed or others, then stick with the basic and throw them away every year. On the mag side, I just stay with the massive electrode. The Plasma is doing all the work and the cylinder is burning a little leaner, so they should last for a long time. I don't think you'll notice a differenc (other than wear) with fine wire plugs.

I suspect Mark is talking about trading the massive electrode plugs on the mag side for fine wires. I have the same setup and my bottom plugs (mag) tended to foul quite a bit. I had the opportunity to install six Tempest fine wire plugs in the bottom a few months ago. They have been running great and don't seem to be fouling at all.
I believe others have had the same experience.

The automobile plugs I use on the Plasma side, I just replace with new ones at the condition inspection.

The Massives are way cheaper than the fine wires and performance wise, I doubt you will pick it.

If you drop one, the price difference is when you will notice it most :D And remember the first thing you do with a dropped plug is get a hammer and belt the #### out of it and then throw it in the bin.

If you do decide to go for fine wires, there seems to be a building wall of evidence that would have me say this...... Buy the Tempest. Nothing more to say about that ;)

As for the resistor value..... check your plugs for gap, but also check them for resistor value. Anything over 5K ohms, drop it on the floor and refer the rule above! :)

Another tip.....the Tempest seem to have stable resistor values, I have two sets of champions, and one set of tempest.........well I have one set of champions now and quite a few others. The Tempest are the pick.

All the best for 2012 :)

Question for fine wire experts

I recently switched all 8 plugs to Tempest fine wire plugs.

My fuel flow went down by almost 1 gph. Power settings stayed the same. I do not operate lean of peak as I do not have fuel injection. I have a 4 probe egt/cht and always lean to 75 degrees rich of second peak.

Why'd the fuel flow decrease?

FWIW, i just changed all the fine wire Champions in my Cirrus for massive Tempest due to a SB. The fine wire Champions were failing at a higher than expected rate. I had 500 hours on them when one failed.