RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I've read through a bunch of the threads on massive electrode vs. fine wire plugs, and opinions are all over the map but seem centered on a couple of supposed advantages to fine wire plugs: a) less fouling, and b) significantly longer life.

Is that all there is? I very rarely have a fouled plug (aggressive leaning on the ground, I suppose, helps), and if they last 3 times as long but cost 3 times as much, where's the savings?

Is there any other advantage to them? My annual is next month, and although I expect the massive electrode plugs in my IO-360-M1B to be fine (barring any issues with resistance) and capable of regapping to 0.018 (after 400 hours; last time I rotated plugs, 100 hours ago, they all easily passed the go/no-go gauge), I can easily switch to something else IF there's a good reason to do it.

I decided to give them a try. I went 700 hours on the Unison massive electrode plugs and they where getting a little tough to gap. I am sure I could have put another 100 hours on them or more, so I think you might be half way through their life?
I have regular slick mags.
I figure, if they keep be up to their promise, might last my lifetime ;)
:D

plugs

I have slick mags and I'm running NGK8ES two dollar plugs on bottom and love them gapped them at .023 engine got fine wire on top but changing them out soon one of my older post tells how to convert wont go back to aircraft plugs.
Bob

I decided to give them a try. I went 700 hours on the Unison massive electrode plugs and they where getting a little tough to gap. I am sure I could have put another 100 hours on them or more, so I think you might be half way through their life?
I have regular slick mags.
I figure, if they keep be up to their promise, might last my lifetime ;)
:D

Yeah, I figure that's probably true with my massive electrode plugs (we'll see in a week or so where they are). But the question still stands :)

What is the advantage to fine wire plugs? Can't be cost in the long run if they're 3X as expensive and last 3X as long. And if you don't have a problem with fouled plugs as it is, that's no better with fine wire plugs.

Do they magically give more power? :) I don't get it.

mine have 1,300 hours on them and look like new. they should last 'forever'. who ever came up with 3x is wrong. :) they will save $ and maintenance time.
IMG_0395copy.jpg

If the fine wires last 3x as long, you'll be 3x as likely to drop any given plug during its lifetime while performing maintenance/service. And you'll kick yourself 3x as hard for doing it. :D

if u r running fine wires u will be 3x more careful not to drop them. i know. been 10 years using them. :)
P1020197.jpg

took this pic yesterday. life is good.

mine have 1,300 hours on them and look like new. they should last 'forever'. who ever came up with 3x is wrong. :) they will save $ and maintenance time.

Anyone have data on lifetime for them, other than anecdotal?

And how do they "save maintenance time" over other plugs...don't they still need to be cleaned/regapped at regular intervals?

"Forever" is a long time, indeed...let's just say I'm...skeptical :)

they don't need to be regapped. ;) take them out. give them a little tlc with a dental pick and put back in.
b44bedae62d61b501db5ee136cbd674e.jpg