Chappyd

Well Known Member
After 13 months of trying to sell my 1965 Mooney, today it is someone else's airplane. I think it's going to a good home, for which I'm glad. I liked the airplane, but have come to loathe certified aviation, at least as the owner of a certified airplane. They say the 2 happiest days of owning an airplane are the day you buy, and the day you sell. It's not quite true for me. It's a bittersweet day. One nice thing is I'm going to be able to deliver it and on Friday I'm flying from Hartford, Ct to Gulf shores, Al. Talk about a road trip! It'll be a while before I can once again head down to the airport on any nice day and go anywhere in the country on a whim. But I no longer have to bear the burden of maintaining an airplane that was built when I was 7 years old!

Next week I am ordering my fuselage kit which will be paid in full, and shortly after that the finish kit too. It's a good thing to join the ranks of full time RV'ers.

WWWAAAAHHHOOO!!!!!! :)

Way to go, Dave!

Congrats!

Get that RV flyin!

We are going to have a huge RV contingent here in the northeast real soon!

:) CJ

Two Happiest days

I sold my 1/4 interest in a C-172 as I was buying the avionics for my RV-6A. I got enough to almost pay for the Garmin 430 and GTX 330. :( Now that my 6A is flying at about 100 hours per year I am so happy I got rid of the 172 even though it was a nice plane it was a gas guzzling slow poke. A Mooney may be a bit more difficult to give up except as you implied there is more Money in Mooney than in an RV! :)

Next week I am ordering my fuselage kit which will be paid in full, and shortly after that the finish kit too. It's a good thing to join the ranks of full time RV'ers.
I can relate. I owned my cherry Cessna 150 for 18-1/2 years. I loved that plane. But people kept telling me that once the RV was flying, I would lose interest. I just didn't believe it. But they were right. It was not until my 6A was flying that I truly came to resent it, not because of the obvious differences in performance...that is to be expected...but mostly because of its recurrent costs for parts, service, annual inspections, etc. Owning an experimental airplane really puts that into perspective.

December past, the 150 found its perfect home. A captain for a major airline bought it for his 16 year old son. The son's first flying lesson was with his father ferrying that little 150 hundreds of miles back home. After several stops, it finally made it to its new home 12 hours later arriving with an uneventful night landing. The new owner called me and couldn't have been more pleased. Now that part of the story was bittersweet for me.

This shot is the last time I saw N3107X as it departed my airport one final time on the morning of December 17, 2006.

After the check cleared, I bought the RV-8 kit.

picture03615nm9.jpg

Last edited: