cbrown747

Like many others, I have been waiting on the day to pull the trigger and start building the rv model of choice. I was all set to start the rv-9a when the surprise of my life hit me. I always thought I was in great shape, but the big macs hit me hard over time. No heart attack, but got a wake up call when I realized that I needed to change to the rv-12 for a lot of reasons. We both want to travel which is why I wanted the rv-9a, but I would rather own a slower airplane and have it for years to come than to put all that time in the 9a and possibly lose my medical for some unexpected reason.

Anyway I wanted to see if there is anybody in the tampa bay area that is either building a rv-12 or has one flying. Every time I go to sun n fun or sebring airshow, I miss the opportunity to get a demo flight. I have been very lucky to get a demo flight on the rv-9a, courtesy of 3 rv owners who were very gracious to give not only me a flight but also my wife. Terry Kohler(based on michigan), Carl rai(zephryhills), and george(don't know his last name-zephryhills).

As I mentioned before, we both want to do lots of cross country flying, but now may be limiting ourselves to a small geographical area due to the rv-12's much slower cruise.

How do any of you rv-12 owners feel about cross country flying?

Just a thought but if you hold off a few months there may be some major changes in when a medical is required. Looks like you might be able to fly a 9A with under 180 HP without a medical if suggested changes in the rules come to pass.

George

thanks for the info... did not know that, although my mission seems to have changed a bit so speed is not the big issue anymore.

I did look this up and did find that aopa is proposing the change you mentioned although nothing is guaranteed.

I got an RV-12 ride from a gentleman who was making a routine cross country from Texas to Wyoming. He had enough extra time in his day to come out of his way and give me a ride. Thanks Colin!

The plane was great, I really liked it. It's roomy, the visibility is excellent, and it would make a good cross-country plane. Its handling if very pleasant, too. Van's got it right - if you can accept a nose wheel and that glass cockpit, you'll like it.

Just watch for weather and sunset time as you travel. It's not the fastest one out there but it's plenty nice enough.

Dave