scsmith

Well Known Member
Back in 2012 there was a discussion thread that resulted from two cases of finding cracks in the forward fin attachment bracket.

There was some indication that those particular parts might have been assembled so that the forward fin spar edge was impinging on the bend radius of the attachment bracket, rather than nesting properly. There was also discussion about possible pre-load in the bracket from improper shimming of any gap in the parts as they were assembled.

This thread elevated awareness of this area as one that should be carefully inspected during condition inspections.
Additionally, there is now a service bulletin calling for inspection of the horizontal tail forward spar in this same general area. So, for some time now, there have been a lot of eyes looking at this area.

What I would like to know, now, is:

Beyond the two cases that were reported previously of cracks in the forward fin attach bracket, F-681, F-781, F-981 as the case may be, are there any additional cases that have been discovered/reported?

Last edited:
bump to the top

I'd like to keep this fairly visible for a few days to improve the chance that anyone that had an issue will see it,
Also improved the title a bit, but the revised title doesn't seem to appear on the forum thread listing
Thanks,

Last edited:
Interested

Steve,

Will you please post the Thread you are referring to. I searched, but ...

Due to several (I'd say, four) accidents that seem to begin the sequence with the vertical fin attachment failing (my take), I am very interested in understanding what is going on here.

Thanks,

Merrill

Last edited:
Merrill,
Please check your PM's

Steve,

Will you please post the Thread you are referring to. I searched, but ...

Due to several (I'd say, four) accidents that seem to begin the sequence with the vertical fin attachment failing (my take), I am very interested in understanding what is going on here.

Thanks,

Merrill

Fin attachment

Steve, +1 on the thread for me too. After reading the NTSB preliminary report on last week's RV 7 accident, I want to get every piece of information about the tail section that is available.

RV-8

Visiting a friend and saw an RV-8 today with the cracked Horizontal spar. I'll be helping fix this one as I haven't see this type of crack before in person, only read about it here. Approximately 150hr on airframe since new.

Will follow Service Bulletin 14-01-31 on this repair.
cj

Last edited:
stabilizer spar, right?

I assume the spar referenced by Grubbat is the horizontal stabilizer, covered by SB 14-1-31.??

Horizontal

That's correct Steve. The crack in the horizontal spar is right where the SB said it would be. I am a bit amazed that this -8 has such low hours. I'll know more tomorrow when I do a deep dive into the repair.
cj

Last edited: