Honestly, a reusable FAA/PMA, Lycoming approved oil filter vs one from Walmart IMHO shouldn’t warrant a thread this lengthy, when for most of us, who are not putting 500 hrs/year on their engine, the bigger threat is likely going to be corrosion.

Everyone’s mileage will vary and at the end of the day, go with whatever floats your boat.
The Challenger filters are not “Lycoming approved”. Again, here’s what the Lycoming tech rep said when queried - “The Challenger filter is not currently a Lycoming approved PMA part...”

Mike, extracted one from a Tempest, and it seemed like the short threads, previously in the filter end cap, were tight when screwed into a new filter. I assume those threads would also be tight in a filter adapter.

I suspect they are non-standard, intended to be tight so the nipple always unscrews with the filter. Are the Champions the same?
In my experience the Champion nipple has a larger thread diameter on the filter side (13/16 IIRC), so the Tempest's 3/4 x 3/4 was the "go to". The short threaded side screws into the adapter assembly without drama. I cant remember how much force it took, but I did think it was loose enough to require locktite as extra insurance from backing out at a filter change.

Last edited:
In my experience the Champion nipple has a larger thread diameter on the filter side (13/16 IIRC), so the Tempest was the "go to". The short threaded side screws into the adapter assembly without drama. I cant remember how much force it took, but I did think it was loose enough to require locktite.

Thanks Mike. I'll polish the lead-in thread and give it a shot.