WillyEyeBall

Well Known Member
We've all had the complaint of the bent/distorted/strobing props with the GoPro camera. A Google search on the subject shows that neutral density (dark gray) filters will reduce the effects. You can also find these filters with a Google search of ND filter GoPro. However, you can also find them at your local Dollar store for 4 dollars with the cheap Foster Grant sunglasses. I checked them out at the lab, and they pass military specifications for lens power and distortion for military visors and protective eyewear, but not for prismatic deviations. In other words, I wouldn't wear them, but you can remove the lenses for the GoPro camera. Here's a video link showing the effects of the 15 percent gray lenses on the GoPro, Hero 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YxSOwXEKWE&feature=youtu.be
I also have posted some acro videos on youtube with the filters, but not for the faint of heart.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Lower Alabama

helps with jello too

The foster grants are a great idea! The neutral density filter slows the shutter speed down (or the digital equivalent i guess), which also helps with "jelloing" you can get in high vibration situations. Your idea shows you don't need to spend a lot of dough to get the benefit.

filter for GoPro

Yes, this is the same idea as the nflightcam filters but I use tape and a rubber band to secure the lens currently. Looks like the monitors cut this thread for some reason, but can answer any questions with a PM.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama:confused:

Yes, this is the same idea as the nflightcam filters but I use tape and a rubber band to secure the lens currently. Looks like the monitors cut this thread for some reason, but can answer any questions with a PM.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama:confused:

Bill, I can't see any indication of moderation of the thread.

I purchased a 3" x 3" neutral density filter on Ebay, less than $3 shipped from China (!!). My plan is to cut it for use on a Drift POV camera. Reducing exposure will definitely help with strobing--my videos shot in lower light at sunset even with no filter have very little strobing. Shooting at 60fps will also help.