hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I bought the top strength automotive version of Filter Mag because it was significantly less expensive than the aviation one. The difference turned out to be slightly weaker magnets and it didn't include the big hose clamp.

I installed it and ran it 30 hours with a new filter and Exxon Elite oil in my Superior XP IO-360 Plus with, then, 120 hours, now 150.

Just as advertised, there were magnetic particles sticking to the inside of the filter case. Picture

I don't know for sure that the paper filter stuff wouldn't have caught them, but I think this is providing an extra level of protection. Certainly if there were any chunks they would stick to the magnets.

I installed it again on the new filter, secured with a big hose clamp although I seriously doubt that it could go anywhere because those magnets are really, really strong. I'm not seeing any affect on the built-in compass in the autopilot. My magnetometer is in the tail so not a concern.

I have no connection whatever with the manufacturer nor anyone selling this product.

Last edited:
You can also run the Tempest oil filters which have a magnet built into the filter. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it can't hurt, and they are less expensive than the other brands.