DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Quick survey please...more research.

Subject is oil filter diameter. Specific interest is the max possible OD when mounted on a filter adapter calling for a xx108 or xx109 series filter.

Not an all-inclusive list, but examples might be the angle adapters from Titan, B&C, and Superior.

A standard Lycoming AC-style points the filter straight aft, has a built-in element bypass, and use a 110/111 filter. Not of interest here.

Please check clearances in the vicinity of the filter base, motor mount, rear alternator, etc, and tell me what you have. Standard Champion/Tempest is 3.7". Do we have 4.3"?

On the RV-3, we couldn't do it - the filter is almost right up against the engine mount, and with a larger diameter, it MIGHT fit statically, but certainly not dynamically.

I want to say that’s with the 1.5” spacer, but don't have the cowl off, so can’t measure, and don't remember. I do remember that a longer space would start putting you into the firewall. The RV-3 is tight!

I have the Air Wolf AFC- K001 fire wall mounted remote oil filter. It has about 0.5” clearance to the firewall. I have hose clamped a piece of rubber hose to the lower body of my xx109 filter filling in that gap to keep it from vibrating and fatiguing the bracket. I will look for a picture if you would like one.

Superior 360 /champion filter/B&C 410 pad alternator

The filter barely clears the alternator but it does. 3.320 ish OD. Can’t post pics. Send email for pic if desired.