macrafic

Well Known Member
After you build the subject canopy frame (roll bar) there is a gap between the two halves. Has anybody filled this gap? If so, what did you fill it with? Is there a reason I would not want to fill it?

I suppose it depends on what you want to accomplish by doing so. It's not a cosmetic thing. You could maybe put styrofoam in there but to what end? The bottoms can't be filled because you need to get in there to attach it to the frame.

It's never anything I considered.

I think he means there's a gap *on the outside* top and bottom between the forward and aft halves of the roll bar (where the two are riveted to a "strap" which connects the two halves). Right?

If so...yes, I filled the gap in with a combination of epoxy and microballoons, sanded smooth then used body filler to fill in any small holes, pinholes, etc. Primed and painted, it looks like one single, solid piece rather than what it is...two separate halves riveted together.

It came out looking really nice, if I do say so myself... :) But it was a little bit of work. Not bad, just a little time-consuming...

Steve

For what it's worth, I also filled the aft portion of the canopy frame rear bow with foam epoxied into place, then finished also w/ epoxy and microballoons, sanded, filled, primed and painted, so it, too, looks like one solid piece the thickness of the bow...

I think he means there's a gap *on the outside* top and bottom between the forward and aft halves of the roll bar (where the two are riveted to a "strap" which connects the two halves). Right?

Ah, I see. Obviously, I didn't do it; it didn't occur to me. I was fairly concerned with cosmetics while building, but I was more concerned about adding weight. And once I started flying, I stopped caring about anything but having fun. And I'm having fun. ;)

Let me know if you need a motivation flight, Rich.

The gap may be useful as more expansion space for a canopy seal, if you decide to install one on the bow. When closed there's very little room there between the canopy and the frame, having a little space for the P-seal or weatherstripping to expand/compress into might help.

Just one possibility, I'm still trying to figure out how best to seal that part of the canopy.

If so...yes, I filled the gap in with a combination of epoxy and microballoons, sanded smooth then used body filler to fill in any small holes, pinholes, etc. Primed and painted, it looks like one single, solid piece rather than what it is...two separate halves riveted together.

It came out looking really nice, if I do say so myself... :) But it was a little bit of work. Not bad, just a little time-consuming...

Steve

Yes, what Steve described so much better than me.

My gap got filled with a bead of Sikaflex.

IMG2732-M.jpg