Phil

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

This is a rookie question for most of you, but I haven't reached any of the fiberglass/body work yet.

I am finishing the trim tabs on my elevator and they're still not bent perfectly/consistently.

I'm thinking of building up the low parts with 2-part Epoxy and filler. I'm looking at West Systems 105/206 and filling with 407 Low-Density Fairing Filler. (410 can't be used under dark paint)

Is this the right stuff?
Anyone see any issue with building up the low parts of the trim tab?
Any tips on doing this type of work?

This part is all new to me.....

Thanks for the insight.

Phil

Phil,
A general caution only; no hard data specific to RV design.

I'd hesitate to change the mass of a trim tab in any significant way, in particular big tabs like on the RV-10. As designed you can assume no flutter issue.

BTW, lots of folks have built multiple trim tabs to get one they like.

Just say no to corrosion

One other drawback to this, moisture can get trapped in there:mad:

Thanks for the feedback Dan and Mike.

I'm going to re-order and man another attempt.

Thanks again,
Phil

Find a pro

Hey Phil -

I have a friend who's a professional custom car builder. They have the tools and skill to do this in about 30 seconds, perfectly smooth and ready for paint.

If you're OK with outsourcing this little bit, find a custom car shop in your area and see if they'll help you out. Piece of pie. No more re-do's.

ff

Another thought

Layer the wood with some sheet steel to keep the pinch point of the aluminum from crushing into the pine.

Or, increase the radius of the bend so that the aluminum does not pinch as hard - fatter trailing edge however.

ff