rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I just removed one of my wing jigs and now I have some holes from mounting the jigs to the floor. They are pretty small, I think 3/16" or maybe 1/4". What is the best way to fill these holes?

Go to Home(builders) Depot or Lowe Flyers and find some concrete crack filler/repair caulk. Simply fill in the hole.

I just removed one of my wing jigs and now I have some holes from mounting the jigs to the floor. They are pretty small, I think 3/16" or maybe 1/4". What is the best way to fill these holes?

Last edited:
You can get some cement mortar patch to fill them most of the way, but it will chip out unless you get some of the resin -cement product for the top. The easiest would be to use epoxy and put a bit of cement dust on the top. I have done that on several occasions with good results.

Epoxy may be the easier alternative, but for future reference: If you can find a small package of Por-Rok, it is a cement type powder mixed with water sets in 60 min and does not shrink. 5000 psi strength. It is used as a hydraulic for waterproofing, and setting bolts in concrete. It is the best and cheapest. I have used this stuff for 40 yrs. $13 for 10 pounds, so you may not find a small package. Stores make more money off more flashy items.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I bondoed mine to the floor. The residual bondo chips off easily.

Got the idea from reading Burt Rutan's Canard Pusher newsletters and the Long Eze plans. I'm a plans junky is why I had those.

On the other hand my jig is free-standing so it might be easier to make steady.

Dave

Epoxy may be the easier alternative, but for future reference: If you can find a small package of Por-Rok, it is a cement type power mixed with water sets in 60 min and does not shrink. 5000 psi strength.

Ppr-Rok is good stuff.

I have also had good luck with simple mortar mix and adding Titebond or Willhold glue to it. Makes a good patching mix.

As my garage floor shows the battle scars of building much like my workbenches, I went with an easy and cheap fill for my wing stand holes. Leftover resin from fiberglass work.

I used Tapcon screws so there are no archors to remove. I guess a trip to Home Depot is in order to see what they have. The Por-Rok stuff seems like the best solution, but there may be equivalents. Thanks for all the feedback.

I made "feet" for mine and they never moved. Not that it really matters with the match hole technology.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Anchors

How did you remove the concrete anchors?
I will have the same repair in a few weeks.

Screw in type anchors like tapcons or a Powers wedge bolt can be removed.

If you are using an expansion type anchor, like a wej-it or wedge anchor, drill the hole 1/2" deeper that the anchor embedment. When done, cut the anchor flush with the floor and then drive it into the hole. Epoxy over the top of the abandoned anchor will work.

Here where I work we use a product called BlendCrete by Prospec. Easy to use and tough. Stop by with a bucket and I'll give you some. We have pallets of the stuff.

Precast Concrete Products of Maine
139 Main Street
Topsham, Maine 04086
www.precastofmaine.com

If it's too far of a drive, stop by your local precast plant and they'll probably be just as generous.