n38139

Well Known Member
I recently removed an antenna from the bottom of my airplane and was considering what to do with the holes. I looked at maybe putting one of the LED beacons but looking at the cost seemed too much. After cruising the internet, I found an Light with 6 LEDs that are used on emergency vehicles etc. It is only 1.5 inches tall and around $60 bucks so I thought I would give it a shot as a beacon.

23sg593.jpg

I used the doubler that was under my antenna as the surface mount. The first step was to center the light between the screw holes in the plate and then drilling two holes and dimpling them for counter sink screws.

amfbt5.jpg

Next I mounted the light and cover as a test fit

23uo00i.jpg

And lastly, painted with rattle can paint close to my color, painted the light cover and this is what it looks like. If it works out ok, I will paint it with "real paint". I did test it on a power supply and it looks as bright as my strobe tubes pulls almost no amps and gives me another source of lighting. As a side note, it has 36 light patterns, and I ordered both red and white LEDs in the light assembly. I have it set for a comet style flash in alternating Red/White and it is really bright.

2cntr9t.jpg

Last edited: