Adam

Well Known Member
I'm sure that this been talked about before but I am wondering what is the best filler for the Epoxy cowl?

Thanks,
Adam Silversten
Finish RV-8

Over in the plastic airplane world a lot of guys favor working pure epoxy back and forth across the surface with a squeegee, removing all possible excess while wet. The idea is to fill the pinholes, not just bridge them so that they sand open again later.

I've done a little of that and it seems to work well. This time I'm gonnna try wiping with System Three ClearCoat, a pure epoxy with the viscosity of water. Started using it as a soak-in coating when building wood biplane wings and really like it. I suspect it will make a great pinhole filler on glass cowls.

After sanding it will get the usual (your favorite brand here) primer filler.

Viscosity or water??

Seems like a possibility to add a lot of weight, if the "pinholes" let the epoxy through into the honeycomb.

Please keep us posted as to how well it works.

Mike

Not that deep...

Mike S said:
Viscosity or water??

Seems like a possibility to add a lot of weight, if the "pinholes" let the epoxy through into the honeycomb.

Please keep us posted as to how well it works.

Mike

I don't believe the pinholes would go through to the honeycomb.

In general, they are caused by the weave of the outer layer of glass, and as such, would only exist in that layer, and probably in the top half of that layer...

gil in Tucson

Last edited: