erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a shallow, silver-dollar size dent on the rear fuselage top skin, where it extends into the baggage area of my -7A. I was standing on a stool leaning into the cockpit area when....well, you get the idea.

I have no experiece working out dents. Since this is clearly just cosmetic, I assume the easiest solution is to just fill and sand smooth. I see references to using fillers in the archives, but not much with respect to product brand names. ACS has a few products, some of which exceed $30 for a couple of small tubes:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/dentfiller.php

Do I need this stuff, or will something cheaper from Home Depot work just as well? Anything special I need to do to avoid cracking or separation from the aluminum later?

thanks

erich

For small shallow dents, such as that; I like NAPA's (autoparts store) #6370 Microlight -- Light weight body filler. Sticks great to aluminum, and set's very fast. Is a two part, that's a light blue.

For some other more demanding fiberglass work, I use West Systems apoxy, that requires an overnight set up.

L.Adamson

Try this....

erich weaver said:
I have a shallow, silver-dollar size dent on the rear fuselage top skin, where it extends into the baggage area of my -7A. I was standing on a stool leaning into the cockpit area when....well, you get the idea.
thanks

If the shallow dent is a curved section of the skin, it sounds like it. The area should not have been streched. It just got reversed!!!

Try this..... Mask the back area of the dent with blue tape or electric tape and then take a spoon and rub the dent out. Press hard with your thumb in the spoon. Start around the edges and work to the center. If you can watch it from the top, you will get better control.

When you have given it your best shot, then if needed fill the rest. At least the filler will be thinner and less chance of cracking. ;)

Tell us what happens......good luck!

Warren

Hard to tell

Without a picture it is hard to tell what you are dealing with. My first step would be to try to reverse it. Use a bucking bar on the underside and try to tap it out with a rubber or leather mallet. Use light taps and you should get most of it out.

As far as fillers go, get some Rage autobody filler. You'll use it later on your fiberglass work anyway. It is catalyzed filler. Don't use any of the stuff in the tubes that don't require a catalyst.

Rough the area, clean with lacquer thinner or acetone and apply with a squeegee. When cured, block sand. Fill and repeat as necessary.