g zero

Well Known Member
Getting the final details on the project ready for paint , where does your paint end in the gas filler neck . I am thinking below the cap , above the oring ,
Or polish the filler neck and end paint at the sheetmetal around it .
What do you have ?
Tom

Don't paint it

I got the recommendation from someone years ago, (Rosie, I think), who recommend to tape 1/4" around the neck of the fuel cap area and NOT paint it. That way you won't chip the paint in the area when fueling.

I did that, polished the area and then had it clear coated when the painting was done. On my new 7, I'll probably go 1/2"

Just a thought:)

Yup, it was Rosie, and I got the tip from my Boeing-Painter Brother Michael: Polish around the filler neck, mask 1/4" to 1/2" then paint :D

Last edited by a moderator:
less paint = better

I agree. Mine has paint right to the sharp edge, and invariably it's chipped.
The last fix was to print vinyl decals exactly the size of the opening, and about 1/2 wide that say " 68 litres - Min. 80 Octane" etc. and apply over the chipped paint. As these get beat up, I'll just peel & replace.
....or you could do something similar with the clear paint protection film that's used elsewhere on the contact points of flaps, canopy, fairings etc.
To cut the 'donut' you need.....
Just jam an Xacto blade slightly thru a paint stir stick, and a push pin at 1.5" offset and presto, you have a compass for cutting 3" circles in your film.
( or whatever diameter you desire) Some of us old timers actually have old drafting/geometry sets with a beam compass that will hold an inking pen, which work nicely for cutting circles!:rolleyes: