dwilson

Well Known Member
I want to take the GPS data from my GRT data dumps and figure distance from one point to the next. Does anyone know a slick easy way to do it?

Thanks,
Duane

You can throw the Lat/Long into an excel spreadsheet and apply this formula for the distance:

d=acos(sin(lat1)*sin(lat2)+cos(lat1)*cos(lat2)*cos(lon1-lon2))

Constant?

You can throw the Lat/Long into an excel spreadsheet and apply this formula for the distance:

d=acos(sin(lat1)*sin(lat2)+cos(lat1)*cos(lat2)*cos(lon1-lon2))

Jorge... isn't there a constant missing from your formula (possibly the radius of the earth?)

gil A

It's in there . . .

Jorge... isn't there a constant missing from your formula (possibly the radius of the earth?)

gil A
Actually no. A nautical mile is equal to 1 great circle arc minute on the earth's surface. So once you know the angle, you know the mileage :cool:

Actually no. A nautical mile is equal to 1 great circle arc minute on the earth's surface. So once you know the angle, you know the mileage :cool:

Wouldn't this still require multiplying by 60? Additionally, Excel gives the output in radians, requiring conversion to degrees first if this approach is to be used.

FAI formula...

Ahh... but you didn't state any units....:) - and most people would use degrees for angles, not minutes ...:rolleyes:... just like most GPS boxes output....

This is the formula the FAI use for aviation record calculations for great circle distance (from the SSA web site) - use 7-8 digit accuracy in your calculations...

Q:
What is the Great Circle Distance formula and how do I apply it to my flight?

A:
The formula is:

Distance = K ~ arccos([sin A * sin B] + [cosA * cos B * cos(X - Y)])

A = North latitude of the departure point (or Lat A)
X = West longitude of the departure point (or Long X)
B = North latitude of the destination (or Lat B)
Y = West longitude of the destination (or Long Y)
K = conversion factor from degrees to distance
= 69.09332414 (the FAI value of K resulting in statute miles).

gil A

SSA = Soaring Society of America - above lat/long assumes North America area and the use of decimal degrees

Last edited:
Yeah, must be degrees

Wouldn't this still require multiplying by 60? Additionally, Excel gives the output in radians, requiring conversion to degrees first if this approach is to be used.
Yup, should have looked closer. :eek: