flydjd

Well Known Member
Hi all from Europe,

Re the Emp. tips although I have not seen any ref from Van's in the instructions I have noticed that some builders have used backing strips inside the fibreglass to stop the Pop rivets " pulling through "

Have many people used these and would .020 strips be sufficient (spare from the Emp. trim bundle) - also is it really necessary to glue these to the fibreglass ?

Thanks in anticipation ;)

.020" is fine

I forget whether I used .020" or .025" on mine, but I do think it's a good idea on the emp tips, where it's just the pop rivets holding them on (unlike the wing tips, where you have the full area of a nutplate contributing at each fastener).

I glued the strips on -- because how else are they going to stay in place while you're getting everything set up for riveting? You could rivet the strips...using rivets between the main rivet holes. But glue seemed more straightforward to me. Just my 2 cents.

yeah, you want to glue 'em to hold them in place. i used .020 and it worked just fine. i used T-88 epoxy (aircraft spruce) to glue them in. epoxy may not be necessary, but i worked well.

Use the .020 and glue (proseal, epoxy, contact cement, J-B Weld, or other) it on the "behind" side of the tips. That gives the pop rivet a MUCH better grip than just the fiberglass. Besides, IF you ever have to drill them out, they are less lilely to spin because of the better grip. The metal gives a better hold for clecos, too, and theoretically the metal behind will add a little strength to bridge the fiberglass and prevent slight bows (inward) between rivets, although that is usually not a problem.

I used .025 on the wing tips with the K1100 (C/S) platenuts riveted on for the reasons above. It is more effort and time, but worth it, I think.

Keep up the good work and good luck with all you do. We are here to help.

Don Gray EAA TC
Cortland,OH
N17QB 7A in progress