Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I have done some searches on here but have came up with very little information. I am just about done with my tail so it is now time to work on the tips and fiberglass. I have heard good stuff about the West system but other than that I am clueless on what all I need and the procedures/steps on glassing the tips. I know I will need some resin, hardner, glass cloth, and some bondo. What else is needed?? Where can all this be purchased??
I know a how too is asking alot but it would help out tremendously. Thanks for your time guys, this project would not be possible without all your help
-david

Using Darwin Barrie's excellent description that he provided a few years ago, I did the tips this summer and posted pictures and incorporated Darwin's instructions here.

I got most of them done before Oshkosh, so it was really cool to walk through the RV corral this year and -- for the first time EVER -- point to something and say "mine's better."

Thanks, Darwin! (I'm coming to Arizona in March, btw)

I use West Systems. In the cold months I always use teh fast hardener and still have plenty of time to do layups.

A great technique taught to me by a local builder (aerolite on these forums) is the following. When you want to do several layers at once, cut pieces of cloth a little larger than you need. Also cut two large pieces of plastic vapour barrier. Smear some epoxy one one of the vapour barrier pieces and lay your wetted cloth down in layers on top of the vapour barrier. After the final layer of cloth, lay the other piece of vapour barrier on top, forming a sandwich, with your layers of cloth between the vapour barrier peices. Then you can use an exacto knife to do very nice cuts of the sandwhich to the exact size/shape you need, without any fraying. Peel off one side of the vapour barrier, lay down the cloth, and then peel off the remaing side of vapour barrier. WOrks great with minimal mess.