Phil

Well Known Member
I'm going to be doing some traveling in the upcoming months and I thought I might try to slide into a few RV builders classes. Most of my time will be spent on the west coast.

I'm looking to jump into a Bob Nuckolls class and also a Fiberglass class.

I'm familiar with Synergy Air and Aircrafters.

Are there any other fiberglass training places that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Phil

Epoxy Basics

Workshops are a great choice for some-and I've used them myself to learn new skills.

However, for those who want to do their own thing or can't participate in a workshop, I recommend the free info and videos at Boat Builder Central (http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto.php). Info is available regarding most basics (and some advanced techniques):
Epoxy and Fiberglass Basics
Mixing Epoxy
Epoxy Resins, Fiberglass, and Tools
Wetting Out Fiberglass

There are also a number of good videos available for sale at Aircraft Spruce (including the Sam James video mentioned in other threads).

Don't forget the manufacturer's website (such as www.westsystem.com) -they also have project ideas for stuff around the house and these may be a good way to start out before you tackle your RV.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
Looks like Dave may be having a class in January.

Attention fuselage builders!

We're finalizing dates for another AirCrafters composite workshop for RVs. Last time we trimmed the top of a willing builder's -10 and did all the fitting so everyone could see how to approach it. I'd like to do the same thing again, so if anyone would like to have their top trimmed and fit free of charge, please get in touch with me. We won't rivet it in place so if you're not quite ready to have it permanently installed, that's OK.

I'm considering the weekend of January 26/27, 2008, but I'm flexible. The closer to Watsonville the better; I have a trailer available if needed to get the parts here and back.

As soon as we have a top to fit I'll be back with firm dates and details about the class.

Any takers?

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA
831-722-9141
831-750-0284 CL
www.AirCraftersLLC.com

Hey Bob,

There's a very good chance that I'll be out there for that class. I haven't passed it by my CFO (wife) yet, but I'm betting with the proper business justifiction (Honey, I don't want to have to buy two tops for the plane) I can make it work.

I also e-mailed Dave to see if he was thinking about doing one in May. I'll be in California in mid-May so if they've got one scheduled then I might pass on this one.

Phil

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

I will be staying just outside San Jose, so we won't be too far apart.

I might be able to stop by...

Thanks for the offer,
Phil

Hey Bob,

There's a very good chance that I'll be out there for that class. I haven't passed it by my CFO (wife) yet, but I'm betting with the proper business justifiction (Honey, I don't want to have to buy two tops for the plane) I can make it work.

Phil

Even though I've taken the Sport Air Composite Workshop, if Dave selects a date I'm available, I may go as well. Nothing beats hands on experience on a real RV-10.

Unfortunately, the last time he selected the only weekend that I couldn't attend. I hope this time is different.

bob

Great class

My father and I are building an RV10 and attended Dave's class specific to the RV10 this past summer and very throroughly enjoyed the class and learned a great deal. Perhaps one of the greatest benefits was meeting a bunch of other guys also building a 10 and gaining their perspective.

The class itself was very specific to the RV10 with tips and tricks on working on all the fiberglass portions of the plane. He started with the very basics on working with fiberglass but by the end of the weekend we were going through more advanced methods. Its a great class, he's a wonderful teacher, and I highly recommend it to anybody who has the chance.

He now has his own RV10 flying and I bet it is a great specimen.

What would have been nice.

What would have been nice.

If Vans gave their mold guy a class back when my RV6 tips were made.

The right one was pretty good, the left one is 5/16 inch longer?

Now that is a fun one to fix considering cutting the trailing edge will leave the back part separated.

I may post some fix pictures later what a mess:(
I hope the later ones are of better quality control.

Last edited: