scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
I have completed my 7A horizontal and vertical stabilizers minus the fiberglass tips (the rudder is next, which will include the top tip). I've been advised to not install the fiberglass tips until much later, the better to avoid dinging them. Is this this general 'rule'? What does the VAF say?

I don't think dinging the tips is much of a consideration. They don't add much length to the tail pieces. And if anything, fiberglass is better able than aluminum to take a small impact without sustaining damage, so in a sense they can protect your tail pieces from minor mishaps (like a bumper on a car).

I think the biggest consideration in deciding when to do the tips is the mess and dust associated with fiberglass work. For that reason, some folks choose to wait and do most or all of their fiberglass work all at once, toward the end of the project.

In my experience, it's not a big deal one way or the other.

Dinging them? you are going to handle these items like a new born child, I did all my emp tips after completing the emp kit. I did not want to go back and finish a part of the kit of fear of subconsciously going back wards of kit progression.